Cordless power tool batteries deteroriate with time? (2023 Update)

Most manufacturers will state that the life of batteries in terms of the number of charging and discharging cycles. I remember reading from somewhere that rechargeable batteries has a shelf life even when the batteries are not used.

For e.g., when the batteries are not being used, they will still be "dead" say after 24 months or so. I also heard that for infreqently used rechargeable batteries, it is necessary to store them at a very low temperature (about 10 deg. C) in order to to prolong the shelf life.

I intend to buy a cordless screw driver mainly for use in driving screws on cabinets, walls etc. And I will use it only about 3 to 4 times per year. And if the batteries really have shelf life, it would not be econimcal. Would it be better to get the corded tool instead?

Thanks!

Reply to
a1esta

Just to clarify what I said:

For e.g., when the batteries are not being used, they will still be

The "dead" means it cannot be recharge or revived again.

Reply to
a1esta

Hi, Self discharge is through the internal resistance. Warm temp. makes the chemicals more active. There are many different kinds of rechargeables. They have individual charge/discharge characteristics.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Battery technology keeps changing. My experience tells me that current batteries are good for maybe 3-8 years total time if treated well.

In your case I would suggest making a plan to recharge them on a schedule maybe every two or three months. Letting them totally discharge is not good.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I use almost all corded tools, having tired of batteries dying at the worst possible time......

usually their capacity just gets less over time accelerating near end of life, about 3 years for most battery packs today.

comanys should be required to make them accept standard cells for easy replacement

Reply to
hallerb

Batteries have improved, but they will still deteriorate over time. Keeping them cold is not going to help in the long run. In your situation, it is difficult to monetarily justify a cordless tool knowing you will never get full value of the batteries. If you get three to four years out of them, you'd be about average, longer is a big plus. Only you can put a value on the convenience of cordless.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Chuckle. If you use them daily, and deep-cycle them, you get near the supposed lifespan. If you use them once in a while, or don't deep-cycle them, expect them to die young. I have exactly one rechargable tool at home, a 24v drill that I bought on sale (and on impulse) and like for small jobs, but realistically I almost never work far from an outlet. At work, I am Mama to about 100 rechargable walkie-talkies (real ones, like cops use), and I only get 2-3 years out of the batteries, because I can't get the users to deep-cycle them. When they are at their desks, they leave them in the charger, and the battery exercisor can only do so much once they stop holding a charge. And these are fancy supposedly memory-resistant batteries, about 60 bucks a piece. If I ever replace this analog system with a trunked digital, I'm gonna hang a dozen gang chargers on the wall by the coffee pot or something, so they can't help but drain them.

But having said that- rechargeables are a whole lot better than they were 20 years ago. In an earlier life, I took pictures, and had several rechargable flashes. Under occasional use, they all died in a year or so. My current grab-first camera is a digital, and it holds a charge unused for at least a month, where the old stuff would drain down in a couple days.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

After my Makita 7V went bad I bought the 9.6V Makita the batteries seemed last at best 2 years I did use it a lot. After that I bought a Dewalt

14V they said the batteries could be charged about 1200 times. well I&#39;m a little over two years no where near 1200 and they charge but don&#39;t last long. So hear I am again $50 for each battery or a whole new set up. I also think Dewalt tools are way over rated. But now I just read about a new design drill. what&#39;s deferent it has a electrical type cord attached to it, then that hooks into a central power supply ( they do make extra length cords you can add to it) The good part is you never have to charge it and they say it should last over 20 years and best of all there actually cheaper.
Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Check out

to have it rebuilt, often better than new

What a concept. Next thing you know, they may start making telephones like that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I&#39;ll check out primecell. I know there is a couple places in Sac. that rebuild batteries also. A telephone with a cord I bet it&#39;s the same CO. making the drills. The possibilities are endless, modern science always amazes me.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Batteries differ. LiIon hold charge for a long time on the shelf, but they also slowly self-destruct whether they are used or not. They will have much less capacity in 2 or 3 years even if you only use them a few times a year.

NiMH are more robust, in that they can last many years if treated well. They do self-discharge at a faster rate, so if you only use the battery

3 times a year expect to have to charge it *before* using it. NiMH can also be charged in well under an hour, while LiIon takes an hour or two.

Corded tools have more power and run forever without recharging batteries. But if you&#39;re working where there is no 120 VAC, cordless is better than the alternatives (gas generator, big battery and inverter).

If you do get a cordless screwdriver, try to get one with an interchangeable battery pack instead of an internal battery. This lets you (a) replace the battery easily when the battery dies, and (b) have more than one battery so you don&#39;t run out of power at a bad time.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

"a1esta" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

No,they don&#39;t like cold either. Regardless of what you do,they have self-discharge.

Or buy the newer,more costly lithium-ion battery models. They will hold a charge for at least six months.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:45da5da9$0$18919$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

My first Makita 9.6V stick lasted 10 years when used daily,6095DW drill,light usage,but daily,charged when drill speed began to drop.The next stick only lasted a couple of years because it got very infrequent use.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Don&#39;t know for sure, but I keep my photographic film, my yet to be used prescription medicine, my nice candles, and my rechargeable and non-re. batteries in the refrigerator. They sometimes take up more room than the food, I think.

A guy I met at a hamfest who bought out four RadioShacks and is selling what he bought said that NiCd batteries need a cool dry place iirc but not a fridge. I only have a couple of those in the fridge, but I may move them when I find a good spot. I don&#39;t really know what power tools use.

Reply to
mm

They even have a design for earth satellites like this. The problem used to be that one needed a longer and longer cord, but the new design uses a copper ring around the earth and a fixed length wire with a contact that slides across the ring. To complete the circuit, they use a "space ground" which is the astronomic equivalent of an earth ground.

Reply to
mm

Assuming you don&#39;t have any drill/driver at all then you should get a corded one first. Cordless drills/drivers are populare and fun to use. Corded drills are real workhorses in comparison. They are less expensive, more powerful, and more cost effective. You might be happy with a cheap drill but mine are all Milwaukeee brand which has a great reputation.

If the corded one doesn&#39;t please you or you have some money to blow then you can alway buy a cordless drill/driver later. They are maybe better suited to driving screws since they have slower speeds and an adjustable clutch.

Reply to
Lawrence

I think he confused cold with nicads instead of alkalines. I have kept alkalines in the refrig for years, many times years beyond their expiration date, and they stay fresh that way. Not the same with nicads however.

Bob

Reply to
Red

If you decide to get a cordless drill, here&#39;s a tip to get the most life out of your batteries:

When you detect the speed of the drill slowing down, an indication that the battery has discharged, stop using the drill immediately. Swap batteries and put the discharged one in the charger.

Running batteries completely flat causes the cells to heat up. Batteries don&#39;t like heat, and will decrease their life if heated up regularly.

Good luck,

Reply to
John E.

Alas, apparently this well-meant advice is exactly backwards. Nicads benefit somewhat from the freezer, alkalines (as a practical matter) do not.

See this:

Cue

Reply to
Cue Miller

On Feb 21, 10:02 am, "Cue Miller" wrote: .

I don&#39;t care what other&#39;s opinions are, I&#39;m talking from 20+ years of experience with LOTS of batteries. You are a fool if you believe every article you read on the &#39;net. And I said refrig, not freezer.

-Red

Reply to
Red