Dyson DC07

Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

Reply to
JohnP

Recently bought a used Dyson DC59/V6 on ebay[1].

It's really good - on 'max' mode is probably as good as our Henry. It actually fits in better - instead of dragging the Henry out of the cupboard and spending a morning cleaning the whole house, you can just opportunistically do the bits that look a bit dirty as and when they need doing.

The electric carpet/hard floor rollers are much better than traditional heads that rely on static brushes to pick up dirt (and get clogged with fluff rather than sucking it up). These rollers do groom the pile.

You only get a few minutes of runtime on 'max', but that's fine if you're only doing one room at a time. Normal mode is lower power but still fine for most things. You have to empty it after every job as the bin is quite small. It is very plasticy, but then it is supposed to be lightweight.

The battery it came with is aftermarket but seems to hold up OK. However the cells inside the official batteries are regular Sony 18650s (VTC5, 5A or

6 depending on model) so it's possible to re-cell a battery if it dies. The batteries do get warm when on 'max', which probably doesn't help the lifetime. It takes a few hours to recharge them.

For

Reply to
Theo

Look ar Oreck. They do industrial grade hoovers that are ultra light, ultra manuevreable and are popular used in hotels.

Not cheap but they are built to last.

S.

Reply to
No Name

Modern rechargeable batteries tend to have a very decent life. Not like Ni-Cads, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Recently I bought a new cheap Gtech SW02 battery operated cleaner, it only weighs 1.6kg, so easy to carry upstairs and picks up bits well, leaving the nap on the carpet raised. It is specified at 1 hour of use for each charge. No more lugging Vax or Henry around.

Reply to
jon

My grandmother just had two 'hoovers', Upstairs and Downstairs. No need to carry one of them up/down the stairs.

Sebo are quite a good make AFAIK, bags not too expensive unlike Miele.

Reply to
Andrew

Alas only one place to store a vacuum and it is downstairs.

Reply to
JohnP

Uhoh, red flag territory. The big heavy Dysons work great, the smaller lighter ones are not worth having. Pickup is feeble in comparison.

Fwliw, henries & constellations are very different.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Performance of the rechargeables is pretty decent - I was initially sceptical and the batteries last fairly well. Longer if you let them cool down before trying to recharge them and you can buy aftermarket batteries from Amazon/eBay for much less than Dyson charges.

V8 looks like it will be a good bet once the next model comes out and it gets discounted as end of line. V7 if you don't mind shorter runtime.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The V11, current latest and greatest, is too heavy. I think the combination of motor, battery and bigger dirt receptacle while welcome in themselves, make it unacceptable.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Look at vacuum wars for reviews and comparisons

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1, Henry is *very* much better; still quite heavy but relatively easy to carry and "rolls" easily on tugging the hose. They have a pretty long power cord, and the winder is very good. Also very reliable.

FWIW I have a Dyson cordless as well as a Dyson mains. Expensive, the batteries don't last forever but from my experience of two, now, the third party ones at half the price of Dyson are fine.

Doesn't give the same deep clean perhaps but still very convenient.

Reply to
newshound

You can get 'mini' versions of Henrys now. No need to get a full size one for domestic non-diy vacuuming.

Reply to
Andrew

I saw one a couple of inches tall. I suspect that's not what you mean :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do people actually do that? Surely you have a vac on each floor.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

williamwright wrote in news:hp40uqFr0o8U2 @mid.individual.net:

No problem with that other than we don't really have a space for one upstairs. 4 bedrooms - but little storage.

Reply to
JohnP

Kirsty and Phil have a solution for that :-) (sledgehammer).

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew wrote in news:rgjfs7$19ir$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Fist would do!

Reply to
JohnP

Me too. I bought an identical for upstairs.

From eBay, a Panasonic upright for £25. The bloke selling it also gave me loads of bags - I only had to replace the belt to have it working as new.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

JohnP formulated on Thursday :