Dyson vacuum cleaners

Hi,
I found a thread from 2008 recommending Dysons for plaster dust, particularly from chasing but for every positive post, there was a post from someone criticizing Dyson. So two years later, what is the consensus on Dysons? The post I found was recommending a DC04 but many Dysons have come and gone since then. Are the new models any better or will a second hand older model do just as well? I'm looking for a new vacuum for around the house but also one for dust and DIY, so perhaps it might be better to buy two second hand ones rather than one expensive brand new one?
TIA

In my experience you need two - one for the house (Dyson, Hoover, etc) and another for the diy/dirty jobs. I've had an Earlex ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EXWD1000.html )for about 8 years and apart from buying a few new paper filters, it's sucked wood shavings, plaster, wet wallpaper, clean water, dirty water, drains and fits on my router and sander, etc. - it will also blow, great for cleaning the shelves in the garage - doors open of course and less than 60. There is also an optional 4m long flexible and with a double set of rigid pipes I can reach the ceiling of our community hall without a ladder!
Peter
Peter Andrews wrote:

Yep - that's what we have too. Fancy Dyson thing in the house, cheap sturdy Earlex in the garage (Screwfix 23140)
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:41:46 +0100, "Steve Walker"
I was looking at the Dyson because it doesn't have a bag to clog with plaster dust. I'm sure the Earlex is just as good at everything else but not for plaster.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:15:43 +0100, Fred wrote:

Much more expensive but looks good and the filter can be declogged (Dutch?) 'on the fly':
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41848
I'm tempted.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Plaster dust clogs the filters on my DC-01 pretty quick. At 1 each from Dyson (and you need two) it soon becomes an expensive proposition.
That said, I got 8 filters for 99 pee from fleabay, haven't tried them yet.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

They are usually washable these days - even for the DC01
--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Andrews wrote:

I use an earlex for dirty jobs but bagless ones seem better for fine dust. I've now lost the foam cylinder element and never could figure if it was used in conjunction with or alternative to the paper bags but these keep splitting and I end up blowing dust back into the room, so I often run a pipe outside for dusty jobs.
AJH

Use this filter http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EXWDACC13.html they wash off with a hose pipe - I've currently got two - a spare for when the first is drying, and I don't think I've actually used more than four in the eight or more years that I've had the machine.
Peter

IIRC Wickes do a badged version of the earlex, those wet/dry filters are also available from them - maybe easier/cheaper than a TLC order...
Cheers JimK

Have a look on Freecycle or you local dump, you often have a choice of models. ;-)
The bad thing seems to be they can 'break down' easily. The good thing is they can often be repaired easily (or everyone I have look at has been so anyway).
The 'repairs' range from a fuse or broken mains cable to a good clean out or actually replacing broken bits but spares do seem fairly easy to get (and because they are 'popular' and sometimes 'fragile' they can be found / scavenged easily).
As for cleaning, I prefer our Miele Cat n Dog for it's capacity and quietness the DC04 for it's lightness and being bagless (horses for courses again).
Cheers, T i m

dysons good IMHO - we have two a DCO1 and a newer DC07 I think (plus a bloody noisy but still going earlex combi for anything else)
Both dysons will cope with all manner of dry matter - if hoovering fine stuff like plaster dust I recommend you buy new filters so that when you need to change you can do so and continue the job whilst the washed one(s) dry.
A remarkable difference (especially the DC07) in suction when the filter is cleaned.
Cheers JimK
In message

Yup, cleaning up a load of plaster dust with our old DC02 clogged the filters up entirely. These earlier models had disposable filters unlike the current ones which are mostly it seems washable.
We've had a DC02 and a DC07, both were fine, but I like the Miele I bought a couple of years ago even more for round the house use, though probably not the best thing for lots of plaster dust.
I've got an Earlex one - a bit crude, cleaning performance is ok, and then finish up with a better one. DC07 is sitting waiting for me to fix it. I've been entirly unable to get the dust drum off for emnptying, can't work out what the problem is at all.
--
Chris French

Probably no change now - 50:50 for Dyson:Diesoon ... We have a Dyson - DC09 and we really like it. It's now about 7 years old.
I got it 2nd hand - after it has been abused on a shop renovation. It was OK, but the best thing I did was to have it serviced by Dyson themselves - cost just over 50 quid IIRC. The plaster dust is had sucked up those years ago had filtered through some internal gubbins and blocked the HEPA filter - that was the only part we needed to pay for.
The internal cyclone bit was replaced for free. The rest was OK. The maintenance chap said that it's very important to wash the (washable) filter very regularly - it's the single most common failure.
So now it gets a little bit of TLC every couple of months and it sucks down so-hard it's actually difficult to push over the carpet at times.
I'll buy another when/if it dies, however I won't use it on plaster dust. I have a 14 year old VAX which I don't mind abusing for that. (Although I think they've stopped making the bags for it, so who knows...)
Gordon

ebay will probly be your friend for bags/spares
JimK
In article < snipped-for-privacy@z3g2000yqz.googlegroups
It is. I got 8 DC01 washable filters for 99p. Dyson's price is 8.
--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

I suspect JimK meant for my old Vax!
Cheers,
Gordon

Ebay *can* be everyone's friend ;>)
(standby for strenuous remonstrations.......)
JimK
A few thoughts:
1. My experience is that Dysons and DIY don't mix. I've lost two with my wife clearing up modest amounts of brick/plaster dust. (I hear you ask; "So, why did buy another one?" Ask her!)
2. It is my strong belief that a good deal of the effectiveness of Dyson's cleaners arose from his using a 1.5KW motor. The older Hoover we originally replaced had only a 700 Watt motors..... it did last 25 years. Check how hot the standard cable gets. The whole machine runs close to the limit.
We have an ancient Aquavac, "won" with Esso Tiger Tokens which I use for DiY, still as good as new, though very rusty, with a new filter every 2-3 years (Think how long ago Tiger Tokens were!).
I also note that wherever you see commercial cleaners in offices they are using machines like the "Henry" range. A bit like my indestructible Aquavac. Simple, effective and indestructible.
(Oh, nearly forgot to mention that many of these indestructible machines are built in the UK. That should delight Mr Dyson who is now David Cameron's advocate of UK manufacturing. Remind me, where is his kit built?)
naffer
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:11:27 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson

I haven't heard of that one: most here recommend the dc07; what changed between the 07 and 09 models?