Vacuum cleaners

I am in the market for a new vacuum cleaner I never realised just how many models there are. Choosing the best is problematical. I have a Dyson, not well pleased, the tools are like toys, the cost of filters are high. so any suggestions please folk? Up to £250 is I reckon enough to pay, my floors are mixture of carpet and wood. TIA.
Most of the ones I've had recently have the filter problem as well You can wash some of them though. Might as well just get a cheapo and toss it when its knackered. The Vax I have works well but cleaning out the filters is a whole afternoons job. a Bosch seems to need the cyclone filter cleaning every month or it complains and shuts down. Needless to say to get at said filter needs half the cleaner to be taken apart! So, I'm not impressed either. the best cleaner I ever had was a cheapo paper bagged model from Tesco. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Broadback" < snipped-for-privacy@j-towill.co.uk> wrote in message

Have a look at the Numatic range - Henrys, Georges, etc. Ours (a George) has more suck than any other vacuum we had before, has a bigger dust bag, and a sensible range of tools, including wet carpet cleaning if you want. They are made in the UK, and because the simple design hasn't really changed for years spares are readily available at (fairly) sensible prices. And you won't be bothered by unwanted "we can service your Dyson" calls - because unlike Dysons they don't need servicing for years.
As for long term reliability, reviews are good, and the guarantee says that you are welcome to use them for commercial use, which is excluded on most domestic vacuums - and indicates some confidence in their longevity.
They don't spend a lot on advertising, probably because they have general steady sales by word of mouth - which also makes them sensibly priced - unlike Dysons!
You may have gathered I'm not a Dyson fan....
Charles F
On 24/12/14 15:38, Charles F wrote:

I'm not a fan of anything Dyson - it's a long held grudge. My next cleaner will be a Numatic: I had a Henry at my old place and it did everything right. I left it behind because my son was bringing a Vax which is supposed to be good for allergy sufferers. Me? I think I've become allergic to Vax! The exhaust is not diffused and blows a stream of air _just_ where you are about to clean; the cable exits from the machine in such a manner that unless you keep your wits about you, you end up treading on it all the time and if the brush get's stalled by a carpet edge or a cable or a shoelace you have about 5 milliseconds to cut the power before the rubber band melts through.
Numatic
Nick
On 24/12/2014 15:38, Charles F wrote:

95% of commercial cleaning contractors use Numatics. Nuff said.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:24:20 +0000, Broadback wrote:

Henry. Or if you want wet/dry...Charles.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
On 24/12/2014 15:24, Broadback wrote:

For large areas of carpet, a Sebo upright.
For a modest abode, and I am surprising myself by saying this, a Dyson battery DC59. Partner was finding the Miele cylinder heavy going (due to various health issues) so we looked everywhere for alternatives. I have never been a Dyson fan but we have one of these at work so I took it home for a test run. Partner voted "Yes". I have to agree its suction is pretty good.
Limited capacity dirt container and slightly awkward emptying are the worst aspects so far. But the repayment is something far more manageable and less of a problem to get out and use.
--
Rod

https://www.sebo.co.uk/
--
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3180
"The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex
On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 15:57:51 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Especially for the price.
Just look at how many commercial users - builders, offices, shops - use Henries, and how few use Dysons.
On 24/12/14 15:24, Broadback wrote:

I like Miele.
Very very powerful suck and the HEPA ones have outstanding filtration.
On 24/12/2014 17:28, Tim Watts wrote:

+1 for a Henry
And if you want extra filtering the disposable HEPA bags work well <http://www.johnlewis.com/numatic-henry-hepa-vacuum-cleaner-bags-pack-of-10/p230516647
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

We have had our Dyson Animal for about 10 years with no problems, and we are fussy.
On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 3:24:26 PM UTC, Broadback wrote:

As the (thankfully previous) owner of a DC01, I didn't realise Dyson made v acuums.
Another vote here for Henry.
On 24/12/2014 17:54, mike wrote:

And another. Although the new cordless Dyson is brilliant for ad-hoc cleaning.

A Henry is a robust suction machine. A Dyson is a carpet and household cleaning convenience tool.

+1 (for an upright)
--
rbel

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 20:35:16 UTC, rbel wrote:

ugh

+1 for a Sebo from me (and SWMBO) too
FWIW, I was overhearing in the Barbers last week a conversation with someon e whose brother (I think) used to be a Dyson Service Engineer. From what I could tell, he wouldn't have one in the house himself...
J^n
On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 22:58:33 UTC, jkn wrote:

nough

one whose brother (I think) used to be a Dyson Service Engineer. From what I could

PS: I have a Henry for the 'Garage DIY'...
On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:28:39 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Agreed, but both mine are over the wattage rating for new ones.
--
Jim S

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 09:54:19 -0800, mike wrote:

Since it's Christmas:
http://www.tavi.co.uk/henry_family.jpg
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.