Vacuum cleaners

Had a Dyson vacuum cleaner for years and have been very pleased with it.

Wife would like a vac for upstairs, say Dyson getting too heavy for her now to lug about.

What are the other bagfless cleaners like.?

Kindest regards,

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

if its a condition that may deteriorate further over time, I'd look at an Oreck. They're far lighter than the other brands.

fwiw

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , the_constructor writes

In best Usenet tradition I'll answer a slightly different question :-)

We have had two Dysons (a DC02 - cylinder that got nicked, followed by a DC07 - upright), been happy with the both. but the DC07 is a bit heavy, and was not good for our stairs when we moved house as the ceiling are higher and the stairs too long for it. And for our house I find a cylinder works better for me.

a year or so back, had been considering another one for a while when the DC07 broke down (since fixed) a couple of days before a big do out our house. So I bought a new one locally from what was in stock. Not liking the current Dyson cylinder cleaners I bought Miele cylinder cleaner.

This one :

I been very happy with it. It does require bags and the very occasional filter change (a running cost, but if you shop around you can bulk buy for a reasonable price), but performance is easily as good as the Dysons. Build quality is very good, it is much lighter, and much quieter.

The Dyson, though now working fine again has been relegated to second choice

Reply to
chris French

Get a second Dyson for upstairs?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Infinitely better value for money.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't know what you've started :-)

This group is divided into 'The Numatic Fanatics' and 'The Cyclone Clones'.

I'm with the former - buy a Henry or Henrietta.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Get her another one for upstairs?

Reply to
mogga

Why bagless? I bought a new bagged vac four months ago. I just changed the first bag. The previous bagless one would have had to be emptied at least twice a week. I was surprised by how much stuff the bag holds compared to the bagless. Its much cleaner to empty even after four months.

Reply to
dennis

Think of all the stick a vacuum cleaner gets in a hotel. I regularly stay in places like Jurys Inn, Holiday Inn, Ramada Jarvis, Ibis and Thistle hotels and have never seen a Dyson in any of them. There are, however, lots of Henrys to be seen because they clean well and can take the stick. Good enough for hotels, good enough for me.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

*waves Miele flag frantically*
Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I've never really considered that they cleaned especially well. I worked in one place where we used them and lived in another place where we had them. cleaning performance was ok, but not great. They are very tough though.

Reply to
chris French

The 5L-bag miele are heavy and built like the proverbial - you can actually throw them at the floor and create a black hole into which the entire room is dragged. The 3L-bag miele are light and move more easily with just a tug - you are not accelerating a static german locomotive. The downside is the 3L-bag miele do not have a flap to hold spiders in (if you suffer the size of spider which actually manages to withstand the suction of a 5L-miele which causes the walls to visually distort around you).

The older miele were slightly better made re "industrial feel to everything" re hose latches, lid latch, basically you expected it to be sent to Mars where there would be no service available and it was actually reversible as life support. The modern ones have gone a bit "designer" like the new vs old miele washing machines, but still a miele.

Bags hold half a house, indeed leave them on too long and you may come back to a flat conversion or at least a scarification of the garden. When you remove the bags they have a neat flap which stops you inhaling the dark matter of the universe, the old ones used to puff a bit at you whereas the new ones use a rotary cover. The bags are multi- layer with the capability of holding a moderate supernova based on their ability to fill to an extremely rigid "piano wire tight" bag before finally vacuum pickup is affected. That said, if a bag bursts your motor is toast. About 2 bags per year - the new bags are now 4-a- pack rather than 5-a-pack which is a little irritating, but they work well; sort of life a nappy without the bawling when it needs changing. Perhaps that can be added following a EU treaty.

Just limit their use with plaster, because on a new bag it will completely clog in a few seconds on any high power. Just glancing there a Miele S381 on Ebay which look like refurbs with mixed tools for about =A350, I think the old S380 in boxed-new could be had for =A389 at one point so perhaps check around. Dyson are noisy, a function of the cyclone, but the Miele do well at low wattages - useful around bedrooms.

Reply to
js.b1

Informative stuff. Can you or we paste that onto the wiki some time?

NT

Reply to
NT

Not as effective, because Dyson holds all the patents on making small cyclones which actually work down to 5 microns (exhaled cigarette smoke particle size).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

s:

Some only have a basic single stage cyclone, the smallest stuff is then handled by a big sponge filter. It works great.

NT

Reply to
NT