dyson vacuum cleaners

Anyone have any experience with the dyson vacuum.? Looking for a new vacuum, know they're expensive; but is the suction as good as they say Thanks

Reply to
FWTexas

Dyson scores points for style, and the manufacturer has won many industrial design awards. But reviews say that when it comes to cleaning ability, Dyson vacuums are not worth the price premium over other vacuums. According to reviews, emptying Dyson's dirt container is a huge improvement over other bagless models, however.

Read the rest here.

jimmy

The wife bought one a few months ago, The Animal, and she loves it. I tried it a couple times and it seems easier to move around than others I've used. The suction is great. If Momma is happy with it, it was worth it, know what I mean? :-)

Reply to
Paul O.

I'll say it before someone else does...

... THEY SUCK!

: )

Reply to
Noozer

Before you buy a new vaccuum cleaner, if the old one is working, before scrapping it, try replacing the agitator and belt for rugs if that is what you are trying to improve. You will be amazed how much better it will clean carpets with new bristles.

Reply to
Art

I belong to a dog newsgroup and the Dyson is, by far, the #1 preference of the people in the group for getting pet hair out of carpet and off of upholstery. I've never had one, but many, many people with dogs rave about how much they like the Dyson.

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

We have one too. It works so well that I am the near sole user of the vacuum. This is a wife friendly vacuum as it gets ME to do the chore.

No pets here, but an AMAZING quantity of carpet fiber, sand, dust, etc comes out with each pass.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

We got one about 7 months ago. The new "ball" model.

I was tired of replacing expensive units every 2 years. And worse, the bag models leaked dust back into the house. We have a Great Dane, and after the second day on a new bag, our old vacuum STUNK like a dog.

So, we got the Dyson - I should be a Dyson salesman now. It is FANTASTIC. What can I say. NO DUST, no smell, empty the canister with the push of a button. I would say it works 100 times better than my old canister.

I vacuumed the living room with the new Dyson after it was already cleaned with my old vac. Filled the dust canister COMPLETELY. I was amazed.

Just one word of caution, the power head is very aggressive. You have to turn off the beater on wool or berbers or it will pull them apart. Buy it! It's sad to get so excited about a vacuum cleaner, but it is that good.

Reply to
Croco Stimpy

Consumer Reports thought it was good but not terrific. Watch out though for their best buy cannister rating. It is a GE from Walmart. It is great at vacumming but a pia to use. Short hose is not flexible enuf and bags are tiny.

Reply to
Art

We are agreed that test ratings indicate Dyson falls short in some areas.

There is no PERFECT vacuum out there.

What works great in the lab may have fatal flaws in actual use (too short a cord, hoses not sufficiently flexible, consumables cost too much, consumable capacity too small. Great on some surfaces, not so great on others).

For many of us, a Dyson is just the ticket with a good balance of features and cleaning power. Yes, it costs more than the cannister vacuums at Walmart/BestBuy/CircuitCity/Target/Sears.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Note that Bed, Bath, and Beyond routinely sends out "20% off anything" coupons and carries the Dyson. There are also sources for rebuilt models, depending on how you feel about that kind of thing (I've always done okay in that arena).

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

Any opinions on Simplicity brand?

see link

me

A BIG assed Shopvac fitted with a Hepa filter and an old ElectroLux powerhead and wand attached to 24 feet of this.

It will suck the paint off the walls.

Reply to
jimmy

Good idea .... very close to a central system ... except that most central units exit the gray air outside the house. One thing you have to watch, many shop vacs are designed for more volume and somewhat less pressure. Typical central vac have sealed suctions of 90 to 120 inches of water. I had a Sears canister that advertised a sealed suction of 90 inches of water. Shop vacs might only be 50 inches or so. While sealed suction isn't purely releated to cleaning power, volume and working suction together is important. How to measure this is open to much discussion. Central systems do need higher suction due to long lines from the unit to each room's inlet. BTW, I was thinking of using a shop vac as a "central system" in a motorhome. Motorhome central vacs are way, way overpriced, typically in the $300-400 range .... almost like a home system, but a lot less vacuum.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Good idea really

But the thing I've learned abt vacuuming...is that ideally it should be done DAILY

And for that to happen it must be EASY to get the machine out and use it daily.

And I'm not sure the idea above would be easy enough for me to get it out and use it DAILY

Reply to
me

here is idea I've had but no time to try out yet

Buy a wall hanging portable shop vac as in link below

When NOT being used store inside hanging up on wall out of sight

Buy another spare wall mount and mount right outside of patio door

Move vac and hang it up OUTSIDE and run hose INSIDE the home when vacuuming

This keeps dust OUTSIDE home

When done.... bring vac back inside and hang up on "home" wall mount

What you think?

Reply to
me

Same here. We have a golden retriever that is a hair factory. The Dyson Animal collects so much dog hair that is disgusting to think about it all being in the carpet.

Reply to
Robert Haar

And don't forget ebay. Someone got a deal from me on my attachments for my whole house vaccuum on ebay. They got a $400 unit for $150.

Reply to
Art

I bought the Animal and I love it!!! , I tell everyone I have a Dyson and it SUCKS!!! LOL!!

Reply to
Homesweethomeministry