Decent cordless Vacuum Cleaner

Our son has a dyson cordless vacuum cleaner. its got an impressive amount of suction, but checking various feedback it seems to have reliability issues especially after the guarantee expires. and ofcourse the price of it is through the roof. Vax do a similar looking thing which we bought but we had to return it as the suction is very poor compared to the dyson.

Now Hoover are doing a similar big motor looking thing.

Its at £129 half the price of the dyson and the same chunky design but does it have the suction of the dyson?

Does anyone have experience of these Cordless Cleaners ?

Reply to
john.west

I've got the Dyson v8. I don't think it has been on the market for long enough for guarantees to be expiring but I would be interested in your statistics.

Superb machine in my view. Did your granny never tell you, you get what you pay for?

Reply to
Scott

Your granny probably still thinks of resale price maintenance. And when most thing you could buy were made in the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RPM was probably still around when she died. I don't know how it affects value for money though - if anything, if there is no RPM you need to be all the more vigilant. Until Brexit perhaps, being made in the UK does not enter the equation. Dyson is not made in the UK either. I believe Henry is, if this is your criterion.

Reply to
Scott

Sometimes you do. And sometimes you don't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My granny would have none of that :-) Offends the protestant work ethic.

Reply to
Scott

Well, Dyson being made in the Far East means it is even poorer value for money.

'You get what you pay for' is commonly understood as paying more will always get you something better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A truer adage would be you charge as much as your market will stand.

So, as a buyer, first check that you are standing in the right marketplace.

Reply to
Graham.

You mean you did not know Dyson was made in Malaysia? I'm surprised.

Reply to
Scott

And some manufacturers exploit this by using different brand names on identical goods or having 3 different models using an identical design but with some features disabled for the models sold at a much cheaper price.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd rather not pay more than £100 for a vacuum cleaner, and have had perfectly acceptable bagged upright cleaners from Panasonic for a vary long time now.

Just found out, Panasonic don't sell vacuum cleaners here any more.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No, I didn't mean that.

For 'you get what you pay for' to have any real meaning dates from from when most things were made on a level playing field. If it was ever true, which I doubt, since con men have been around since the start of time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good. The Panasonic upright vacuum cleaner we had was utter, utter shit. The next time it went wrong after the warranty had expired, I took it out in the garden and burned it. And no, I'm not joking.

Bought a Sebo to replace it, which I have been completely pleased with. we must have had it well over 15 years now. It's needed a new motor and a number of consumables in that time - all easily obtained and simple to fit.

Reply to
Huge

I bought the Bosch Athlet BCH625KTGB about £170 last year. Very pleased with it , simple, plenty of charge time for a quick vacuum round. Never use any attachments.

Reply to
Robert

That model only scored 51% in the latest Which tests (Dec 2016) whilst the best buy Dysons and Bosch's had scores over 70%.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Or, as WC Fields fields didn't say when he was selling vacuum cleaners "Never give a sucker an even break".

Reply to
Jeff Layman

We have the portable corded Dyson which uses a similar filter to the cordless V8.

The need for monthly cleaning of the filter and the couple of days each time it took to dry even on a radiator made the machine unpractical.

It now lies unused. We got a different corded machine which is great and cost only a fraction of the price of the Dyson.

Reply to
pamela

Odd. I have a Panasonic - the Which best buy in the early '90s. Apart from the usual consumables and the light blowing after five minutes its been great. Most would be on their 4th or 5th Dyson in that time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You still shooting your mouth off as usual I see. My original Dyson lasted 20 years (actually nothing wrong with it when we replaced it except the power cord fraying for a second time), and its replacement and the DC35 cordless (now both three years old or so) have given no trouble at all. As neither has the old cylinder Electrolux I have, more than 20 years old.

I mean, what is it you fatheads do with your vacuum cleaners? Attach them to your tanks and take them for a scrape round the block or something?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tell that to my nest door neighbour.

Ah right. Nothing wrong with it but you simply must have the latest Dyson. Fairly typical.

The cordless will be due for new batteries any time soon, then.

Do you ever actually understand a post you're replying to?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)