cordless vacuum cleaners query

A stupid question perhaps. My wife is taken with the cordless vacuum cleaners, to me the problem seems to be charging them. Does the whole cleaner need to be plugged into the mains or are the batteries detachable and can be charged separately? If the whole vacuum then that would be inconvenient as there is no socket where we store them and not much chance of fitting a convenient one.

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback wrote in news:mqpclj$k6p$1@dont- email.me:

Perhaps we should also consider the likely life of the battery and its performance as it gets older.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Perhaps if you mentioned which model vacuum cleaner you're thinking of someone might be able to answer your question.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well listening carefully to the Bosch advert, it says there are two sets of batteries, which indicates to me that the idea is that the batteries are on charge and when one goes flat you swap them over. I think my main issue with them is weight vs sucking power and how long that sucking is going to be good etc. Obviously for small dwellings the devices seem good value, but if you have a lot of house to clean, not so sure. I did also wonder how long the batteries keep their charge over time. Brrian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

This is really a 'piece of string' question.

I seem to remember son had one of those little hand held things for the car that had to be charged in its entirety.

Whilst one we have now (Gtech Air Ram) has a detachable battery that will accept a charge whilst removed from the vacuum (however we basically leave the battery attached all the time).

Not sure if the batteries are available separately or if by the time we need a new battery the rest of the cleaner is on its last legs.

Looking about we looked at the Dyson DC 44 which charges in its entirety but it has a purpose built wall mount.

So some do some don't

Reply to
soup

In message , Broadback writes

The one I had (B&D) did not have removable batteries. The cleaner itself was supplied with a base unit into which the cleaner clipped for charging. That meant the base unit had to be stored near a suitable socket.

Are these cleaners worthwhile? Well, useful, for smaller jobs. Cleaning crumbs off the table, keyboards, that sort of thing. Must be kept central and accessible, though, so easy to grab when you suddenly notice a new cob web or whatever. Child drops biscuit crumbs. Dog hairs on a chair.

The battery in mine eventually died (after many years), and I have not replaced it. Useful, but certainly not essential.

Reply to
News

Reply to
soup

probably a weight issue. battery powered machines, with much smaller motors don't weigh as much. SWWBO finds carrying a mains one upstairs quite an effort.

[Snip]
Reply to
Charles Hope

Fortunately(?) our sons are still both at home one 23 one 21.

Reply to
soup

Doesn't one of the adverts indicate that a battery charge is enough to do a whole house in 10 to 15 minutes?

I assume that this is for the compulsive cleaners out there who vacuum every day to keep the dust down.

Reply to
alan_m

Forget it, they have as much suck as a brick and don't last. Something like an old Dustette shuold last a lifetime and has adequate suction.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Buy a second mains vac for upstairs use

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

she has that, but doesn't like my Henry which is downstairs and we've a 3rd floor ;-)

Reply to
Charles Hope

Not quite sure how, like for like, a battery one would weigh less than a mains one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They've obviously found one of those houses reserved for advertising purposes only. Bit the same as the miles they use for MPG claims for cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed about the string. The DC04 is pretty amazing: small and light, lots of suck, ours hangs on the charger in a convenient place in the hall. Very seldom runs out of power on a job. But, expensive and limited dust capacity.

Ideal for a small house or flat. Ours probably gets as much as the big Dyson and the Henry (large, old, dirty house with dogs).

Reply to
newshound

Like for like, it won't; bt as I said earlier battery machines don't weigh as much since they tend to have smaller motors.,

Reply to
Charles Hope

we only have a visiting dog, but it seems to leave as much hair as a full time one.

Reply to
Charles Hope

On 16 Aug 2015, soup grunted:

But how do you persuade them to wield a vacuum cleaner...??? :)

Reply to
Lobster

On 16 Aug 2015, soup grunted:

We're after another rechargeable mini-sucker job exactly as above, as a colleague for the ever-excellent Henry. We had one (I forget the brand) that conked out some months ago, which to be honest was a lot better in theory than it performed in practice.

Anyone recommend a good one of these things, that sucks well and had decent battery life (both lifetime as well as per-charge?)

Reply to
Lobster