vacuum cleaners

Hi,

For some years I have used an aquavac wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's lasted well until recently but all the DIY-related dust has started to clog the filters at a fast pace. I was thinking that for the price of half a dozen filters I could buy a new vacuum! Can anyone recommend a good vacuum for domestic and DIY use that has relatively cheap consumables?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Fred (Fred ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There is only one, and his name is Henry.

Reply to
Adrian

Actually, no. His name is Charles.

(Clue: he did mention wet/dry).

Reply to
Bob Eager

No it has to be "George".

Reply to
EricP

Your "relatively cheap" differs from mine. B-) Cheapest Henry I've see= n is just over =A360 mark, I've also seen 'em over =A3120!

For about half that you can get an Earlex bigger tub, wet 'n dry, (Don't= think Henry likes water...), built down to the price but mines OK for DI= Y from dust collection to rubble picking up and the odd bit of drain emptying. I've got the one with the power take off which switches the va= c on when a power tool connected there powers up, great fro dust collectio= n.

I've got a spare filter for it but a stiff brush and tapping unclogs the= ribs easily. Even with slightly damp plaster dust.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice ("Dave Liquorice" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Even ignoring the fact that the original question only used "relatively cheap" in connection with the consumables, I can only say "Dyson..."

Reply to
Adrian

That's an interesting concept...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How can you call Dyson filters relatively cheap? they clog almost immediately with plaster, cement dust etc.

Reply to
Broadback

The most expensive load of utter crap to ever be foisted on a gullible public.

Apart from the Priapus of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher (The Natural Philosopher ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, quite. All things are relative.

Reply to
Adrian

You never have to replace them (at least I never have).

Not in my experience, indeed a Dyson is the only thing I've found that actually copes with these. I can normally get 5 or more large canisters full of plaster/cement dust before swapping a filter. Each canister holds many times the capacity of a vacuum cleaner bag in any case. I wish someone made an industrial grade portable cyclone cleaner which came close, but they don't (and can't because Dyson holds all the patents on making small cyclones viable).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think Charles is the basic one, George is the all singing all dancing model.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager ("Bob Eager" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They're all brothers.

Reply to
Adrian

You can also get washable filters for it (which also cope with being used in 'wet' mode, unlike the original paper/foam ones supplied) which addresses the OP's cheap consumables issue.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I agree in general, but you need to be more specific about *which* Dyson. I've got an old DC03 upright (the 'lightweight' one) and recently had to replace the entire cyclone/canister because the old one had become internally clogged with DIY detritus. I couldn't find a way to dismantle that part.

Nevertheless, Dysons are excellent on the whole and people who criticise them must either have been unlucky or have an axe to grind. I was also impressed that I was easily able to buy a replacement part for such an old machine.

Richard.

reply by email change 'news' to my forename.

Reply to
Richard Russell

I use a DC04 for DIY. It can swallow the volume/rate of plaster dust which my plaster chaser (double blade angle grinder) chucks out, which a Henry couldn't get close to. Henry's initial suck isn't strong enough to catch all the dust at the plaster chaser in the first place, and after about 10 seconds, it had virtually no suck left as the bag was clogged. Tried it bagless and it just chucked all the muck out the exhaust. Useless.

I recently used a friend's DC07 for plaster dust and sanding dust (sanding a maple floor with an industrial sander). I noticed the DC07 (which is next generation fron the DC04) hardly even got it's washable filter dirty after several emptyings of the canister, so it would seem that does an even better filtering job in the cyclone. I also have a DC07, but that's reserved for housework, whereas the DC04 is used exclusively for DIY.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Praise the Lord!

You can buy paper bags for Henry cheap as chips.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just a thought.... I wonder if anyone has tried using a water-filter to filter the dust through such a beast. What I mean is... extending the inlet pipe down to the bottom of the drum and putting a few litres of water in. All dust would then be retained within the water which could be changed very rapidly at no cost. No filters, 100% efficiency and 100% dust captured. A vacuum cleaner bong!

Just a thought. Used to work well in tractors (or was it landrovers) where the air inlet was drawn through an oil filled "saucepan" as a pre-filter.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

My first-issue Dyson tug-along is still going stron in the garage. It is brilliant for plugging onto the B&D Plane with plane attachement ductaped to the hose.

Sucks up everything thrown out by the circular saw when attacheded again with ductape.

It's firmly established its self as a darage-dust vacuum and must now be close to 15 years old at a guess. Still on first motor and only had filters (now on washable ones)

It honestly is brilliant. Plaster dust will clog henry's bag within a minute or 2. Dyson will go on longer and filters can be tapped out.

No idea if the modern ones are as good as my old one, but it's trully brilliant! Uprights are completely bollox though. I have one of them too!

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Possibly a bit more tricky if being used with plaster or cement though.... Doh !!

:¬)

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk