Earlex Filters

Time has come a round for some new filters for the Earlex WD1000 wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It's one of these:

but they don't seem to make it any more.

Anyway, has anyone experience of the various foam and wet/dry filters?

I've used the paper ones in the past, but they're quite pricey at almost £7 for 3 inc post.

Reply to
RJH

I tried the "combined wet & dry" filter and it was crap. The very first time I used it was on a wet job and, with the bin less than half full, I had water spraying out of the exhaust. I think the vac was lucky to survive. I use it as a wet-only machine now and I've gone back to the foam cylinder that came with it. That's always been fine.

For dry stuff, I bought a scrap Dyson off Ebay.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I've only ever use the corrogated rigid paper things, WDACC13. I've had the machine ten years or so, doing duty from sawdust pick up from the table saw, mixed plaster/cement dust, rubble, and soot/ash from the woodburner.

I *might* have actually changed it once. They are fairly robust, and can be brushed with a stiffish hand brush and tapped clean of most dust. Best done outside, away from the washing... Think I have some "in stock" knocked down to 99p each from Homebase. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/I tried the "combined wet & dry" filter and it was crap. The very first time I used it was on a wet job and, with the bin less than half full, I had water spraying out of the exhaust. I think the vac was lucky to survive. I use it as a wet-only machine now and I've gone back to the foam cylinder that came with it. That's always been fine.

For dry stuff, I bought a scrap Dyson off Ebay.

Cheers,

Colin/q

Mmm had mine for donkeys years and currently on two pretty shagged combi fi lters (from wickes when they did their version). Never had the spraying exh aust tho? There's a sliding 'ball' in the mechanism beyond the filter that' s supposed to float up on wet contents and block the airway so water doesn' t get to the motor. This can get crudded up and stick and not float.

Mine gets a lot of stick and the bearings are very shrill indeed, think RAF waddington!:-) but still does the business.

Just ordering a new filter on the above links- sods law the vac will break as soon as I install it.....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

mechanism beyond the filter that's supposed to float

motor. This can get crudded up and stick and not float.

Yep, I normally try to empty the bin before the snorkel valve thing shuts off, but I've cocked-up doing that on many an occasion and I've never had a problem with the foam filter. The one time I used the new (Earlex branded) filter, the vac became a highly effective heating system water flinging machine. The bin was nowhere near as full as I normally take it.

Maybe I was unlucky and some freak wave happened in the bin or something. I'll never know since that was the last time I'll be using it as well as the first...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I had a Wickes branded machine but the suck/blow fan (which also cools the motor) cam off the shaft resulting in massive overheating in just seconds. That was 2011 and althopugh Earlex wouldnot sell me just a bare motor (elf and safety) they did sell a complete motor/top end assembly for £31. I went to their factory in Guildford and they were nice people to deal with.

Without the cartridge filter, it spews out as much as it sucks up. Not good if you don't want fine dust all round the house. For wet use, this filter has a quick release central spigot clamp and I am sure the instructions tell you to remove this filter for wet use. I would have thought common sense would tell you that a filter designed for dry must not allowed to get wet !.

Cleaning this (dry) filter is easy, just fit the hose to the blower outlet, go outside, and blow back through the centre of the filter.

Reply to
Andrew

Just done an amount of plaster rubble with same vac, they really are near indestructable.

Used vac bags from dustbag.co.uk as larger area meant didn`t clog as fast as just filter on its elastic band, car air filter type filter blocks almost immediately with really fine dust.

Earlex make a fine wallpaper steamer as well.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Well, I had thought so too. But having just changed the bag and washed/dried the foam filter, it seems to be just throwing dust straight out through the exhaust.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Reply to
RJH