Best bagless cylinder cvaccum..

Need to replace my ageing Panasonic. Need a portable tough high power unit with washable bags and filters, and suitable for car, motorhome, and stairs and corbners..all the places a beat and vac wont reach...

is there anything better than a Henry?

Don't want overstyled plasticky crap. Tough and powerful and practical..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the commercial Henry (Numatic) equivalents with 'structofoam' or metal buckets?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Corbners? Loved it; it beats some of your other occasional typos! :)

Should it have been cworbners? I.e. corners full of webs?

In fun.

Reply to
Clot

For sensible money? Ron, the steel cased Henry (aka the NVQ250, AFAIR).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mmm but the numatics are all bagged aren't they?

I want a reusable bag, not a throwaway paper sort.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do what all the builders do then.........Don't use the bag

Reply to
Me Here

There is a (third party?) reusable zipped bag available for the Henry. I have one myself.

Google for 'Henry cloth bag washable' or similar. About a tenner.

Our 'diy-specific' Henry gets light use, so I can only say that it basically works.

HTH J^n

Reply to
jkn

What? There's an NVQ in using a vacuum cleaner?

Whatever next? An honours degree in watching paint dry?

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Have a look at the Earlex CombiVac:

this is actually a bagless cleaner despite the fact that it uses paper filters which look like bags. Quote from user manual:

"The cleaner does not collect dry matter into the paper bag filter. This is collected in the main recovery tank. The paper bag is a filter to stop the dust from entering the motor."

I've had mine many years and it's managed everything from wood chippings to plaster and brick dust without faltering. Suction is great - not to be used near small animals.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 22:50

Maybe I've been unlucky but IME everything is better than a Henry. I've used

2 (parents and work) and never been impressed by their suction.
*Ignoring your requirement for washable bags*:

For kick-arse and indestructible with extremely good suction, an older style on-end-cylinder VAX is powerful and takes abuse well.

For purely the house and car, my Miele Revolution 4 is the most powerful (more than the VAX) hoover I've ever touched and not one speck of dust (even ash from around the fire) gets out the exhaust after the 3 filters (bag counts as filter).

Bags are small and best bought online, but for a house with carpets I was changing the bag perhaps 2-3 times per year so it didn't work out as much of a running cost. The powered beater head is as good as most uprights. There's a nice car-kit that has the smaller widgets suited to getting into awkward places though you can survive without it.

A head for your solid floors will cost extra but not much.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

> Paradoxically, this is actually a bagless cleaner despite the fact that it

And Wickes do washable filters for it (they also do their own badged version at a generally lower price which can be got down even more through Quidco/TopCashBack and/or voucher codes).

Just to be clear: you only need to buy one.

top heavy for pulling around the house.

I never found the paper bags much use, so upgraded to the pleated filter. One of them (the plaster catcher) is now running a home-made filter out of some glass fibre(?) industrial filter fabric that's resistant to getting coated in damp lime. Previously the paper filter seemed to suffer badly whenever it was used on building materials and got at all damp afterwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You're right about the ill effects of damp getting to the paper filter; the truth is that damp and dust simply don't mix well in this context. However, used for dry material only, the filter can be dusted off repeatedly without removing so it's quite durable, and of course being bagless the cleaner is really very easy to empty.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The filtration on a Miele is excellent, the bag compartment never has dust in it. Like you said the suction on a Miele is very powerful, unlike some other vacuums it doesn't drop much at all even when the bag is full.

Reply to
David

Does that work? where does the crap end up?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My Grandad has used his George like that, the result is the dirt more easily escapes making people cough, sneeze etc.

Reply to
David