Best location for a cylinder stat?

How far up (or down) the tank should I fit my tank stat?

I am tempted to fit it at a level half way between the coil inlet and outlets.

Any opinions?

Reply to
Sadly

In article , Sadly writes

Usually about third of the way up, higher & the tank is half empty before the stat realises it needs a top-up, lower and the boiler is cycling every time you fill a sink.

Reply to
fred

On 8 Mar 2006 02:28:43 -0800 someone who may be "Sadly" wrote this:-

1/3 of the way from the bottom is about right, probably roughly where you were thinking of doing it. Then it is ensuring most of the cylinder is heated.
Reply to
David Hansen

You are correct

Reply to
Bob Mannix

|> I am tempted to fit it at a level half way between the coil inlet and |> outlets. | |You are correct

That will limit the amount of hot water held by the tank. IMO it would be better somewhat *above* the lower of the coil inlet and outlet. Never below the lower of the coil inlet and outlet, as it would then rarely work.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Physics would tend to say that if you fit it at the top the maximum temp reached will be near what it says on the stat. If you fit it lower the maximum could be higher than the stat setting, depending on what the internal heat exchanger says. Either way you will need to adjust it so the water is at the correct temperature, so its shouldn't be critical as long as its above the coils bottom.

Its not like fitting an immersion heater where it will only heat the water above the level.

Reply to
dennis

Convection?

MBQ