painting doors

Hi

Can someone confirm to me if new internal doors (bare wood) do not need to be prime, just undercoated and the one coat glossed, I've got lots to do so, I'm trying to shave time off the job.

Thanks

Reply to
Neil

Undercoating it, is priming it. ;-) use a small roller it gives a better finish to the gloss and saves some time.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

so i dont need to buy primer to prime the bare wood , just straight on with the undercoat using a roller and then gloss with a roller when dried?

Reply to
Neil

1) You'll need to apply knotting, if the doors have any knots. 2) You ought to apply primer, use a small roller for speed. 2) Apply undercoat with a roller, lay off with a brush for a superior finish. De-nib with fine glass paper. 3) Apply gloss with small roller. Lay off with a brush for a superior finish.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Acrylic primer/undercoat dries quickly and won't fill the house with fumes if you're having to sleep there. You'll need at least 2 coats on new stuff. Use an oil based gloss for the topcoat though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Try eggshell.It looks classier ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Gloss looks fine if it's only the finish. Trowelling it on to get the opacity you should have achieved with the undercoat does look awful though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Better to use either oil- or water-based paint for all coats, don't mix and match. I've come a cropper myself in the past from doing that.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can't see how, unless the u/c hadn't dried. I always mix and match them.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Dunno about that, but one tip I got off Tommy Walsh to give a perfect finish is to remove the door, put 2 screws in each end of the door and place the door between 2 supports (chair backs etc).

You can then paint or roller the door on one side, flip it over with assistance and paint the other side without any chance of runs.

Reply to
PeTe33