cordless vacuum cleaners query

What about those houses for bedroom furniture adverts - where the bedroom is the size of a tennis court?

Reply to
David Lang

no such animal

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ours is a Dyson DC35 which when put away in its holder automatically plugs in.

Reply to
Tim Streater

DC35: 12 minutes on normal suck and 6 on boosted suck. Plenty of time for doing a small job. I usually just use normal suck and that is plenty adequate for most jobs. Very handy for cleaning computer screens, TV screen, picture rail, above doors, window frames, picture frames, and similar. Also picking up those damn beetles, where you can get it out of the cupboard, hoover up the beetle, and put it away in less than 30 secs.

For the "whole house" get the big Dyson out. If you know you're going to be doing a big job you don't mind the faff of the mains cord.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for all the answers, but non answer the original question. As regards the model my wife fancies the Gtech Air Ram K9

Reply to
Broadback

We have a Dyson DC59 Animal (now apparently called a v6 animal) and use it to clean the whole house - but it is a 3 bed semi with mainly hard floors

The Dyson seems to clean very well, although the battery run time is not long, so sometimes you have to pause.

The battery is built into the body, but you can buy a second battery/body for around £60 I think. However having difficulty finding it at the moment. Some models do list an exchangeable battery, others don't.

Charges from a wall wart, which you can integrate with a wall mount for the Dyson, or just use ad hoc. The extension (for doing floors/carpets) unplugs so you only need to charge the body. This isn't intrusive as it is so small.

It works well for us, and is much easier than a full sized cleaner.

YMMV

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I don't know about that model, but my Dyson DC34 Animal has a detachable battery, and performs extremely well.

FWIW there's no mains socket in the cupboard where it's kept, but I don't detach the battery. I've extended the low voltage lead so that it reaches from the nearest mains socket to the cupboard. Obviously routing a thin LV lead is a lot easier than fitting a mains socket. The only disadvantage is that the only charging indicator is on the wall wart, so there's no obvious confirmation of charging when I drop the cleaner into its holster (not that there's ever been a problem, but visual confirmation would be nice).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Seems only a few days ago many were complaining the EU directive to limit mains motor power consumption meant the end of a decent vacuum cleaner...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, yes. Same as bathroom ads. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Often the case. Called advertising.

How many watts is the Henry?

If a battery is, say, a 2 amp.hour 18v it will (in theory) deliver 36 watts for an hour. Your Henry is likely something like 750 watts or more. So like for like your battery would power it for about 3 minutes.

Now the battery one may well have a more efficient motor etc, but you get the picture.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We have one of those (I think it's that one anyway), and I'm very impressed with it. It won't do our whole house as it's too big, and we have cats and children, but I can see it doing fine for a flat or whatever. It terms of cleaning it is up there with mains hoover, of course it is limited by battery time and having to empty the small collection bin more often .

But we use it all the time to quickly do a couple of rooms (which tends to be the way we do things anyway, rather than do all the house) , or the stairs or whatever. or quick clear ups - say when doing a job, or cat litter tracked from the tray, or all the bees which come down the chimney and die in the lounge.

It's lightweight and convience mean it gets used most often, the mains hoover. I choose that make/model because it can be used like a full size one for doing floors, and also as a handheld.

Expensive though. I got it ina good sale last year from John Lewis, with bunch of vouchers as well waiting to be used.

Reply to
Chris French

We were warned off the G-tech by a salesman in John Lewis. He said they had stopped selling it because of the number of returns due to faults. Anecdotal only, but enough to make us decide on the Dyson (which we then bought direct from Dyson, who did us a deal).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ah yes, but the companies would have us believe otherwise as the adverts show. Who can clean their house in 20 minutes? I mean come on, uiit takes enough time to vaccuum the ct. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 16 Aug 2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Of course; I wouldn't expect the power of Henry in a hand-held rechargeable, and neither would I expect it to cope with similar cleaning duties; any more than I'd expect my cordless drill driver to perform like my mains-powered SDS machine.

But enough of those cordless vacuum beasties are sold that surely there are going to be those which are obviously better than others. Push come to shove I'd buy something similar to the old model, but can't help feeling tI coiuld do better!

Reply to
Lobster

The lack of cord is a feature.

Reply to
Tim Streater

yes there is, go to the vax websit and have a look.

the lift vax is about £240.00 in John Lewis at the moment. Enrol on the vax site and you will get special offers for the cleaners, and believe me they are good, I'm talking about the U86-AL-B and the U85-ACLG-B. I bought two of the U86-AL-B for £166.00 each. My dearest uses them every day one for up one for down.

Reply to
critcher

never did have a good chin did he.

Reply to
critcher

go to your local John Lewis and try them out, they stock quite a few types.

Reply to
critcher

none of the current rechargeable battery technologies last, and none can co ntain anything like the energy used in a mains hoovering session. The techn ology just doesn't exist.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Did you really mean "vacuum the cat"?