Vacuum cleaners

+1 for a Sebo from me (and SWMBO) too

FWIW, I was overhearing in the Barbers last week a conversation with someon e whose brother (I think) used to be a Dyson Service Engineer. From what I could tell, he wouldn't have one in the house himself...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

one whose brother (I think) used to be a Dyson Service Engineer. From what I could

PS: I have a Henry for the 'Garage DIY'...

Reply to
jkn

I've not been that impressed with them really in household cleaning terms., sure they are tough and will bounce down stairs quite happily, you can suck up large bits of stuff. But I didn't think they performed that well on household carpets and pretty rubbish on pet hairs.

We had a Dyson upright - DC07? maybe (well technically we still have it), which had a problem a day before xmas and no time to reapir, when I was getting ready for family attending. So went out and bought another one - Miele Cat and dog cylinder. And I've been very happy with that.

I did fix the Dyson, but I prefer to use a cylinder so it doesn't really get used much anymore.

Reply to
Chris French

My son and his wife have just bought a house which has a central vac system - they intend to remove it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Numatic have a huge range of Henrys. Make sure you choose the right one as there are considerable differences. Made in Somerset too!

Peter Crosland

On 25 Dec 2014, Chris French grunted:

+1

+1

Not my experience, and we do have a house-full of hair-shedding cats and dogs. We do use ours with the add-on 'Airo' brush

or
and that does make a massive difference to the hair-removal ability. Though I'd be surprised if Henry's any worse than any other machine, when using just the standard brush.

My only slight gripe is that the impeller in the Airo brush (which contains an airflow-driven rotating brush, like an upright cleaner) does jam quite easily if you run over anything solid (hairgrips, small screws etc) and requires undoing of 4 screws to dismantle the device and sort it, and that procedure would be easily messed up by someone who's totally ham-fisted as its slightly fiddly. It's odd and a pity that they haven't devised an easier way to do that - wouldn't be hard.

I have no experience of Dyson etc, so won't comment. But we've had Henry for years; still brilliant and never needed any maintenance whatsoever.

Reply to
Lobster

On 24 Dec 2014, Tim Streater grunted:

Reply to
Lobster

Many thanks for the numerous replies, the vote definitely goes to Henry. However the majority of you will be male practical D-I-Yers, the ladies probably have different ideas. In addition my wife, after all it is for her, prefers an upright. Sad but true.

Reply to
Broadback

In which case, the answer is a Sebo.

Under no circumstances buy an Electrolux. The E'lux vacuum cleaner we foolishly bought angered me so much I took it out in the garden and burned it. (And no, I'm not joking.) The Sebo we replaced it with is a great piece of kit; cleans well, easy to maintain and when the motor when bang after some years, it was trivial to replace. The machine is

*designed* to be dismantled & reassembled.
Reply to
Huge

there is s "ladies'" version caled "Hettie" - in pink.

Reply to
charles

I used to think that uprights were naff, 1950s, etc. So I had cylinder machines over the years. Then 20 years ago I tried the nephew's new Dyson, the DC01 - an upright, and realised that whereas with a cylinder I had to keep pressing the jobbie down on the carpet to disturb it and suck up any grot, with an upright you just pull it: the weight of the machine then works in your favour to disturb the carpet.

So I bought my own which has been in regular use these last 20 years.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We've had ours almost as long - 17 years.

Reply to
S Viemeister

On 25 Dec 2014, Broadback grunted:

FWIW I was definitely the driving force behind us buying our Henry; SWMBO wasn't at all convinced. However she's definitely a big fan now.

Reply to
Lobster

Some people like a cylinder vacuum for some tasks, Our Sebo model converts from an upright to cylinder as the lower part detaches in seconds though the hose is a little short. A longer one can be purchase but I already had a hose from another machine I was able to join on for those tasks that need it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

In message , at

10:28:10 on Thu, 25 Dec 2014, John Rumm remarked:

And another one:

I know the owner, and he recommends Sebo as the high-end brand.

Reply to
Roland Perry

At least is one occasion where you don't object to the nativity characters just gathering dust for most of the year ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm