What is the best vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors and carpet? (2023 Update)

Our very old and faithful Dyson vacuum sadly gave in and stopped working after about 25 years. Our local vacuum cleaner shop would not even look at it. It's time to move on and find a replacement.

We are not very informed about new vacuum cleaners. What are the best vacuum cleaner brands and options these days? Do you recommend upright or canister ones? What about bagless vs bagged? We do have quite a lot of hardwood floors and carpet, so we'd need something good for that.

I've googled around a bit and The Wirecutter recommends Miele Dynamic U1 Twist, while Get Cleaning Done recommends a vacuum that's supposed to be specifically good for hardwood floors, Shark Navigator Lift-Away. What do you think about these two options?

Reply to
edwardmorrison

Here are a few things to consider:

  • Upright vacuums are typically better for carpets, while canister vacuums are better for hardwood floors.
  • Bagged vacuums are generally better for trapping dust and dirt, while bagless vacuums are easier to empty and maintain.

Based on the recommendations you mentioned:

  • Miele Dynamic U1 Twist: This is a high-end, bagged upright vacuum that has received positive reviews for its suction power and versatility.
  • Shark Navigator Lift-Away: This is a bagless, upright vacuum that has a detachable canister and is designed to be used on both carpets and hardwood floors. It has received positive reviews for its suction power and affordability.

Both of these options are considered high-quality and can effectively clean both hardwood floors and carpets. Ultimately, the best vacuum for you will depend on your specific needs, budget, and preferences.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor