Dyson DC07 overheating question

Apologies for yet another Dyson query. The most relevant previous postings appear to have been pruned from the server.

I thought I had fixed this by cleaning the pre-motor filter, but the cut-out has started again after 10 mins use. Certainly the area around the motor and base of the bin is very warm after 10 minutes use. Curiously the brush-bar still rotates at speed. I am not convinced the suction is as good as it was when new.

  1. Is there a Dyson self-help website that may be able to help me here ? Of course I could take this to a repair shop but I'd prefer to investigate myself first.
  2. Is there a maintenence/repair doc available for DC07 models ?

Any thoughts on possible culprits here would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Reply to
PHG

Hi Paul

Don't know the Dyson inside out, but been in industrial vacuums for 25 years!

I would guess that your Dyson has a directly cooled motor, that is the air being moved to provide the suction also provides the cooling for the motor. Any blockage or restriction downstream of the motor will cause overheating.

Any blockage or restriction upstream will affect the downstream and do the same, so look very carefully at filters, bends, hose joiners etc both in and out. Also check the fan blade it'self. If it's cracked or damaged it won't be moving enough air to cool the motor.

Again guessing, is the brush bar driven by the same motor as the fan? If so, the motor is having to work harder, sounds like a damaged fan blade. Overloads are a warning. They weaken every time they trip.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It sounds like there's a blockage in the airway somewhere. Have you checked inside all the removable bits of pipework?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your suggestions. I've just removed the removable pipework but there doesn't appear to be a blockage. It appears that after just a couple of minutes, the area where the motor housing meets the bin gets hot and hot air is being emitted, which is why it is cutting out. Could there be dust inside the motor housing ? Does anyone have some disassembly instructions ?

Reply to
PHG