Dyson Motor noise - bearings

(Please no "you should have bought a Meile")

My DC07 is starting to make an intermittent noise from the motor which I am thinking could be the bearings. I have looked at a video on YouTube on replacing the motor but wondered if anyone has done anything to the bearings. Could they be lubricated - or replaced? Should I wait for it to die and replace it?

Reply to
John

Contact Dyson and get their, in your home, =A369 service.

"Fixed charge service of =A369.00 (inc VAT), fully inclusive of spare parts and labour (excluding accessories)".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Contact Dyson and get their, in your home, £69 service.

"Fixed charge service of £69.00 (inc VAT), fully inclusive of spare parts and labour (excluding accessories)".

Reply to
John

Why dont you find out, open it up & see if the motor turns smoothly or lumpily.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Why dont you find out, open it up & see if the motor turns smoothly or lumpily.

NT

I now think it may have been the brush roll bearings skidding around on the shaft.

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

Check out the clutch too, I've just changed one on a DC04 where drive pulley to the brush bar had gone.

If it's that I think I paid 17quid inc post, plenty of sources of spares out there.

Reply to
fred

We've twice had the man from Dyson in to service our DC07 - and the last time was because the magic black smoke came out of the motor.

It's well worth it - you'll not only get a new motor, but he'll upgrade other bits of it too - for free - we got a new cyclone (the Mk2), new brush and belt and an internal flexy tube and we bought a new filter off him at the same time (was an extra tenner)

Last time it sucked like a sucky thing, this time it positively growls.

It's well worth it every 3 years or so.

The chap that did ours - same chap that came 3 years ago was really plesant to chat to - Dyson do seem to treat their staff well, but he said the training course was tough - out of 10 or 12 who applied in his batch only 3 got through!

And there does appear to be a trick with getting the motor in if you want to DIY it... I thought he'd left a screw out, but he said you need to give it a run before fitting the final screw to make sure everything settles in - and that final screw is a bit of a PITA - you need a long magnetic screwdriver to locate it...

Cue the DieSoon brigade here, but I'm well pleased with mine (and I got it 2nd hand 7 years ago after it had been abused on a building site!) I reckon it's now better than it was when it was new, and it's good to see that they've still done a bit of R&D on a product to make it even better.

Wash the filter every 3 months and it'll last forever. We bought one of the hand-held ones recently too for doing the cars - great little things and they now email us to remind us to wash the filters too!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

No clutch on mine.

Reply to
John

I have no real complaints - it is a Carpet Care Tool and not an industrial vacuum (Henry Fans please note) It has a couple of lugs broken where the handle assembly locates - apart from that and the (now fixed) noise it is fine.

Reply to
John