Stripping wall tiles

Having chiselled off all the old tiles from the bathroom, I have a messy surface with much plaster skim missing and the odd hole in the plasterboard. Whilst its not too bad for level (the new tiles' adhesive should even it out) I am concerned that the new tiles might not stick in places. Do I need to cover the broken walls with PFA solution or some such?

TIA Mick

Reply to
Security like

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:20:44 -0000, "Security like" strung together this:

Wouldn't have thought so as long as it's not too bad, won't hurt any to slap some PVA over it though.

Reply to
Lurch

I'd block the holes and fill the bits of missing skim, doesn't need to be perfect. Sods Law dictates that some tiles will just have one corner at the correct level and the rest over missing skim. Getting that tile to line up with the others around will be tricky, especially if they have a similar background to stick to. Thick layers of tile adhesive aren't recomended either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

plasterboard.

Scrape adhesive off wall using 4" stanley long handle scraper. Repair holes in plasterboard by cutting larger hole in plasterboard and then fitting repair piece in using battens. Tape and bed joints at repairs. Repair missing skim coat by applying skim coat where there is none. At this stage your wall should be in near original condition. Use a small roller to apply

50/50 PVA / water solution, and you should be ready to set out for tiling.

Lee

Reply to
General Lee