Making good plasterboard ready for re-tiling

Am doing some re-tiling, and in the process of ripping the old tiles off the existing plasterboard. Because I have driven a scraper behind to break the tiles away, this has actually gone OK with minimum damage - limited to strips and patches of the think paper of the plasterboard torn away, and no damage to the plaster beneath.

Whilst it looks a mess, there is a fair percentage of the original surface left where each new tile would be so I was thinking about sanding flat the sound areas where adhesive remains and then skimming over the damaged areas. Whatever I use will need to bind to the fuzzy paper surface. Assuming this is what most people do - what is best, a filler or a finishing plaster? The skim would be very thin so I'm thinking a filler may be better......

TIA, Midge.

Reply to
Midge

When I have done this in the past, I have removed as much adhesive as possible, and just applied adhesive to the surface (with no prep/filler) and fixed the tiles. As long as the surface left after the tiles have been removed is sound, I don't think you need to do anything to it!

SalesGuy

Reply to
salesguy

Thanks for the advice.