Tiling on plasterboard

When fixing wall tiles to stud plasterboard walls, should the plaster be sealed with a pva adhesive first or can the adhesive be applied directly to the plaster?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The plasterboard should be sealed with a tanking product for the purpose. PVA is not suitable (it's not waterproof). Look at something like BAL WP1 Tanking.

Lots of people do tile directly onto plasterboard without any problem. If you do this, I would suggest adding a waterproofer/plasticer to the grout, such as BAL admix GT1.

If you haven't yet put the plasterboard up, look at using cement based aquapanel instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Even if you have, I'd suggest you change it for aquapanel in order to avoid hassle in time.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I'm just about to start a bathroom tiling job too and had the same initial question. In my case, the entire bathroom is going to be tiled and it's costing me a fair bit in materials so I want to get it right. Could someone clarify the following given that I'm not about to start ripping off all the plasterboard and replacing it.......

  1. Is it best to use a waterproof sealer through the entire bathroom or just where the tiles will get a drenching (i.e. in the power shower). If its OK to use some other sealer elsewhere, what would you recommend?

  1. In the areas where previous tiles have been removed in the shower cubicle, the surface is still very slightly powdery in spite of a good clean down. This is because the paper finishing surface of the plasterboard has torn off in places where the adhesive was, leaving the paper exposed to catch dust. Will this stuff still bind and stabilise such a surface, or is some other prep necessary?

  2. I've seen references to tape and matting in connection with the BAL tanking products. Presumably the tape is waterproof stuff for sealing corners but what is the matting used for?

  1. I think I've read somewhere that a waterproof coating can be applied to certain types of tile AFTER they have been put up. Is this right, and if so:

TIA, Midge

Reply to
Midge

In my last house I removed the 25year old bathroom tiles from plaster board (handy they print date on plasterboard) and there was no sign of water penetration of dampness and it looked like just normal adhesive and grout had been used. I simply replaced the board and tiled again this time using waterproof adhesive and grout. Worked fine.

Reply to
Ian_m