Sticking platerboard to plastered wall

In my kitchen the wall resembles the Himalaya Range of mountains.

I would like to stick some plaster board onto the wall to cover it all up and then put some tiles on. Length approx 19' (foot) x 18" high (inches).

The only bags of plaster that I can purchase from the local builders supplies is quite large and most of it would be wasted. No DIY shops for 8 miles.

I was thinking of stick plasterboard to wall with something that I can put in my sealant gun. I know this would probably cost more than plaster but at least none would be wasted.

Your suggestions as to what to use would be most welcomed.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

If you wasted all of it, what are we talking about, £5? Hardly seems like a factor worth taking into account.

Need more detail about the state of the wall, but a reskim, which doesn't need to have a good quality surface as you're tiling it, would be much better.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But still cheaper than plasterboard.

There is a proper 'plaster' for fixing dry lining - which can take up any irregularities. No Nails type stuff might not.

You don't need a perfect finish to tile to - just one which is true and square. And dry lining still needs skill to achieve this. Personally I'd skim with one coat plaster - use a length of straight timber to level it off. You could chisel out vertical grooves in the old plaster every metre or so and fit battens to act as a guide. Pack them as required off the wall with cardboard, etc. After you've plastered remove them and fill with plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the past I've used planed battens at the top and bottom of a wall. The bottom was always going to have a skirting board, or in the OP's case his units, so only the top needs dressing when the batten is removed. I've then used a planed 3x2 to scrape the plaster to get it level. A little wasteful in wood I know.

Reply to
Fredxx

As has been suggested, I'd just plaster it before tiling, but no need for any sort of smooth finish, just run the trowel over the surface to level it. A rough finish with pockets is fine.

NT

Reply to
NT

As it's only 18" high and you are doing yourself the plasterboard route may be the most simplest and least messy, as you would only need one sheet of 9mm. Fix the strips to the wall with dabs of plasterboard adhesive, you can probably get a gun cartridge from Screwfix or Toolstation. You won't need to skim it after, just tile over.

Reply to
AJH

I completely replaced my bathroom some 18 months ago. The bathroom had two breeze block walls and two plasterboard walls. By the time I had finished removing the old tiles, there were big holes in the plasterboard, and large areas of missing plaster on the breeze-block walls. I removed all the old plasterboard and all the old plaster and replaced the lot with new plasterboard. To fix the plasterboard to the breeze-block walls I used Gyproc Dry-Wall Adhesive. It comes in paper sacks like cement and you just add water to make a fairly thick mix. You then just stick a trowel in and 'throw' lumps of adhesive at the wall at spaced intervals. You then just lift the plasterboard and press it against the lumps until it is level, both vertically and horizontally. Dead easy - and cheap - to do. The adhesive was surprisingly inexpensive - and a lot less than using loads of 'no more nails' in a gun! It sets like iron!

Kev

Reply to
Ret.