Sticking Insulation to walls

I am thinking of insulating a room with celotex/kingspan 25mm thick. The problem I have is attachment. The room has been tanked and I don't want to ruin it by putting screws through it so wondered if its possible to stick the kingspan to the walls then stick plaster board on top (foil backed possible). If 25mm insulation is too thick then at a push 12mm thickness would do. Do you thick grip fill would do the job

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

what's it been tanked with ?

Reply to
brugnospamsia

2 years ago we had some Delta membrane installed (which looks a bit like plastic egg boxes with mesh over one side).

This can be boarded using drywall adhesive or sand and cement assuming there are the correct number of fixings in place (sand and cement requires more).

We used 20 and 40 mm insulating board from British Gypsum direct onto it on using drywall adhesive.

This was on the advice of the company who installed the tanking system. It worked and it does the job for insulation.

If the tanking was installed by a contractor it would be worth asking them about their recommendation ... if not then the tanking material supplier might have technical advice to offer.

Re: the celotex/kingspan again I'd ask the manufacturer.

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

You could dab and dot with expanding polyurethane foam, push on and support while it sets - sticks very well.

Reply to
John Rumm

How tall is the room ? If it's 8 feet or less it may be easier to attach the Kingspan top and bottom.

Reply to
Mike

Lots of things shold work, even dreded faiming ployurethane.

HOWEVER I'd definitely be tempted to simply screw studs and noggins to the wall and proceed as per stud wall. The area covered by the screw holes is not significant in terms of damp ingress.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

FYI: the damp proofing company that did my tanking advised:

a) In the areas where the external wall is underground (as there can be hydrostatic pressure) do not puncture the membrane (it will void the garuantee).

b) In the areas where the external wall is overground you can pucture the membrane, but use plugs with the screws (this still voids the garuantee though!).

I followed this advice and my house is still very dry.

Reply to
AlexW

The will also stop shelves etc .......

What I intend to do with mine build a stud wall next to the real wall, and insulate the stud wall, the stud wall will then support shelves etc ........

I'd also go for at least 50mm, you probably won't notice the extra inch, but you will notice the warmth.

Rick

Reply to
Rick