Dysons again

I think it's been discussed before but I can't remember the details.
What are opinions on Dyson vacuum cleaners, please?
Mary

Over rated. No, very over rated.
Flimsy, not worth the money.
In fact, I can't think of a single good feature.
--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk
Mary Fisher wrote:

Our DC01 (may God rest it's soul) was very good. It lasted a long time, and took some very rough treatment.
Our DC05 (cylinder) has been the biggest pile of cr@p I've ever spent 240 on.
If you want an upright, I can thoroughly recommend this: <http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/361_198579.html It's superb. Suction is better than any other vacuum we've ever had. Dust bin is large. Filters are easy to clean. It's the closest I've ever come to loving a vacuum cleaner.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Dammit!! I can't believe I did that! Its. ITS.
--
Grunff

To err is human, to forgive divine.
You have erred, I forgive you. Because you confessed!
Mary
Grunff wrote:

Apparently that is a recognised problem in A&E departments.... ;-)
I am told (reasonably reliably) there was a time that the "dustbuster" was one of the primary causes of penile shaft injury in the uk! (has a rotating fan blade not too far back from the spout)
--
Cheers,

John.

ever
Why on earth would ones todger be anywhere near a rotating fan blade not too far back, or anywhere else for that matter? The mind boggles!
Philip.

You'd be surprised at what people do for cheap thrills. My father had a friend who used to be an ambulance driver and they would regularly take people into A&E with various bits of vacuum cleaners and other domestic appliances attached to their nether regions. Hoover Constellations were a favourite at one time AIUI; but there were more mundane things like milk bottles, bits of pipe, you name it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

The above info came from a friend who was running a sideshow at a big NHS conference... ISTR he said they also had a section on some of the more unusual items found lodged places they were perhaps better off not being. One that sticks in my mind (and elsewhere for others it seems) was the procedure for removing a pint glass from a rectum! (tie a knot in the end of a rope, and place in glass. Now fill with plaster of paris and allow to set, pull on rope!). Same trick can be used for light bulbs if you find the bayonet cap unexpectedly breaks away from the bulb.
The thought that occurred to me was that plaster of paris creates a reasonably strong exothermic reaction while setting.... ;-) that should teach `em.
--
Cheers,

John.

"Philip" wrote | Why on earth would ones todger be anywhere near a rotating fan | blade not too far back, or anywhere else for that matter? | The mind boggles!
It's that "no loss of suction" that some men seek.
Owain
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:17:32 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Crap.
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:44:28 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
Heavy. Not very reliable. Not even made in Britain any more. Not that much better than a good conventional. Expensive.
(get a Henry or one of his brothers!)
--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and

Apart from the high cost, their reliability is poor.
This isn't to say every single one breaks down regularly, but they are nothing like as reliable as some others.
Depends on what you want. They work - the upright one at least - pretty well. And you may like the looks. The once possible good reason for buying - that they were made in this country and therefore provided work for your fellows - no longer applies.
--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

That's a very "sweeping" statement Dave!
I'll chip in and say that we bought a DC01 in the early days, we've used it ever since, and it has *never* broken down. We think it's great (and it's quieter than our previous cleaners).
There are two great variables here:
(1) People treat their possessions in different ways. (Note how many people in here have said "I've never replaced the filters yet!") To be sanctimonious for a moment (Rev. John speaking) I always aspire to treating our expensive devices with the reverence due something that's taken so much out of the earth (and of humanity) to create, so I try to keep stuff like new. Please note the word "aspire" - I'm not exactly 100% successful -- too feckn lazy.
(2) Dyson now have lots of different models, and it's pretty clear that some are less successful than others.
cheers -- just off to polish me car.
j.

I'm simply quoting other's findings. Statistics.

Obviously, reliability is based on the number of problems in a sample. It would be a very poor maker where every one broke down. It might be that only one in three gives problems while a better make is one out of ten.
However, as a straw poll, do a search on this group. You'll find dozens of questions about fixing Dysons - with the same problems cropping up time and time again. Not so with others. Now I know Dyson might be the most popular, but not by this proportion.
--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

"Peter" wrote | Lifetime filters
Well, they last the lifetime of the filter don't they?
| ... my arse
Saves money on toilet paper I suppose.
Owain

Is anyone else puzzled about this reply?
Mary
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:14:04 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Read Ricks following post, as soot and plaster dust are not explicity excluded as suitable material for a Dyson to suck he is taking Dyson to Trading Standards/Advertising Standards over the claim of "no loss of suction"...
I wonder if he dries his pet dog in the microwave?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Fisher" snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk says...

I'm not sure what the density of dust has to do with anything. I think he meant Hoover, but as a Dyson is obviously not a Hoover ...