dyson died

me dyson stopped mid hoover - as if someone turned off the socket - which they didn't & it still works a test lamp.
Used me Bosch multi detector to establish there is mains in the dyson flex so fuse is OK...
took a few bits off it & the motor feels warm/hot but not hugely...
Now what?
Cheers Jim K

There's (at least on mine) an internal thermal cut-out which should re-set itself after half an hour or so.
Stephen
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:53:56 +0100, "Stephen Mawson"

Yeah ours smoked enough for me to put it outside and it worked ok after it cooled down :)
You can have a service for 65 quid from dyson. Don't know anyone who has ever had one though.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

On 26/07/2013 17:10, mogga wrote:

I had one once - our DC14 suffered a motor failure. Chap came, replaced motor, fixed / replaced anything else that looked worn, and departed. A couple of bits he did not have in stock with him, so they were delivered a couple of days later mail order.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:21:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

who

Our ten plus year old DC04 was treated to a service several years ago. In home, chap arrived at the scheduled time, replaced the worn and broken bits, had dust sheet to work on, tidied up well, parts he didn't have (the wand IIRC) arrived a day or two later. All for the fixed fee.
--
Cheers
Dave.

DC09 here - been serviced twice - first time it just "wasn't right" - I'd gotten it for free after it had been used on a building site - the Dyson chappie stripped it, cleaned it, gave us a new cyclone and a new hepa filter (although we had to pay additional for that) It was mainly the filters that were knackered as the removable one had never been cleaned and that clogged the 2nd one.
2nd time the motor blew - quite spectacularly as I recall. He (same chap that came 3 years prior) replaced the motor, gave us a Mk 2 cyclone, replaced the brush and belt and some other widget. Removed the mains flex, shortened it slightly and re-fitted it with a new terminal block (I think). This was all included in the servicing price.
It's now 11 years old and still going strong.
Gordon

Bit more than that now but well worth it as they will replace anything that's worn not just fix the original fault. It includes labour and parts.
--
bert

On Friday, July 26, 2013 5:10:19 PM UTC+1, mogga wrote:

et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then did same thing - conked....
diagnosis & treatment please?
cheers Jim K
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:53:42 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

en

Your vacuuming takes more than 1/2 and hour! ...
Probably not getting enough cooling to work properly, pathways, vents blocked or the pre motor filter blocked.

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/arrangeservice.aspx
"Our fixed charge vacuum cleaner service of £79.00 (inc VAT) is fully inclusive of spare parts and labour (excluding accessories and filters)."
I doubt they pee about cleaning the old motor with the risk it may have other faults after overheating. Quicker to swap the motor and any other bits that are worn or bust will also be replaced.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 26/07/2013 20:53, Jim K wrote:

Sounds like lack of air flow, and hence cooling. Check and clean / replace any filters, and make sure there are no blockages.
--
Cheers,

John.

Blocked filters perhaps? If the filter for the motor is blocked it'll overheat quickly.
Tim

Filter is blocked, caused by either it's never been washed (should be done every 6 months with typical use), or the dust canister has been overfilled, causing dust spill into the filter and clogging it.
Another possibility is one of the tubes is blocked.
--
Andrew Gabriel

It's overheating.
Remove and clean or replace every filter in the thing.
Squirt a jet of water into the conical cyclone assembly, or better, slosh it around in a bathtub of warm water to help loosen and eject stuff that can't be shaken out. Let it dry thoroughly.
Daniele
On 26/07/2013 16:40, Jim K wrote:

Ours did that. The mains flex broke inside the machine, close to the on switch. I shortened the cable by a couple of cm at a time until continuity was restored, testing using the ohms range of a multimeter, then re-terminated the cable and re-assembled. Spade connectors from a car spares shop worked OK.
When it failed a second time within months, I replaced the Dyson original cable with a generic flex and it's not failed again since.
See here for destructions: <http://dysonmedic.com/DC04%20Folder/DC04%20Cable.html

The early Dyson flexes tended to go brittle and crack. I think they are a bit better now.
--
bert

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:40:16 -0700, Jim K wrote:

Would have helped if you'd mentioned a model!
I repaired an upright for a friend once...apparently the mains cable often fails just where it bends and enters the machine. I shortened it past the (internal to the insulation) break, and crimped on a new spade connector from the auto parts shop down the road.

Mine is a DC01 and is 20 years old so fuck to all those whingers who say they fail after five minutes.
Mine failed in just the way you describe, Bob, and I fixed it the same way. Five years later still going strong.
OP should look at the on/off switch on the machine and check for continuity.
--
Tim

On 7/26/2013 2:16 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

I have a DC01, too. Perhaps we take better care of our stuff?

I saw the title and thought you meant the inventor had died.
In regards to the vacuum, throw it out and buy something not made in Britain. Or do what I do and collect broken ones on freecycle. People are constantly giving them away with all sorts of faults because they're a pile of shite. Find two with a different fault and you've got a working one, for a while at least.
--
One of the first things you learn on your honeymoon is,
when you're carrying your bride over the threshold, always go in sideways,
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:12:34 +0100, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

They're not made in Britain.