OT Musical films

Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best place to find them and what is the best media so that I can port them onto my TV?

Reply to
Broadback

I suspect that all the soundtrack LPs will be available on Spotify. I've never thought about playing LPs on a TV, but each to their own....

Reply to
newshound

I did not only want the sound, I was hoping to get the film, hence the TV bit!

Reply to
Broadback

I did not want only he soundtrack I was hoping to get the complete film

Reply to
Broadback

Have you checked YouTube for any of the films on your list?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I think we were confused by "Musical films on LP". Obviously LPs can only hold sound, not video, so we assumed you wanted modern-formats copies of the LPs, (CD, or MP3 via online, HDD or pen drive) so you could play the sound through your TV. Now you mention "complete film", it becomes clear: you want the film (sound and pictures) for which you currently have sound-only on LP. As a matter of interest, are the LPs made using the original soundtrack (and therefore cast) or are they cover versions of the songs made by other artists which was a common practice with musical soundtrack LPs.

Try Youtube or Netflix, or maybe a web vendor such as Network who may sell it on DVD. The medium that you buy it on will depend on what player equipment (DVD, MPEG-2/H264, Netflix etc) you already have.

Maybe I'm a Luddite but I always like to own a physical copy (LP or CD for music, DVD for TV/film), even if I port that onto a computer for easier playing on my PC (eg via iTunes or VLC) or TV (eg via Plex on our Roku box).

Reply to
NY

I thought that too. Then I thought of LP on VHS.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sows my age I suppose, LPs contained the full musical, pictures and sound.

Reply to
Broadback
?
99% of people think of an LP as a black vinyl disc that plays sound only. I suggest you clarify what format you are seeking.
Reply to
John

Probably means LaserDisc.

Reply to
Richard

As I said that shows my age, LPs contained the complete films. As regards format I do not know, what is transferable to TV?

Reply to
Broadback

As others have said: the term "LP" refers to a flat disc with grooves that's played on a "record player" (a Long Play(ing) record); the technology was unable to carry video information for a film. Perhaps you're getting confused with one of the tape technologies (VHS, Betamax), or video disc?

Reply to
nothanks

In message <qtq0bk$927$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Broadback snipped-for-privacy@j-towill.co.uk> writes

I am advised by young friends that YIFY is always worth a look ...

Reply to
Graeme

I believe Baird experimented with recording his 30-line TV pictures onto the grooves of a record, but apart from that, I don't think there have been any mechanically-written/read video recording formats.

On VHS (and maybe Betamax) there was a tape speed that was designated LP (long play) which ran the tape at half the full SP (standard play) speed and so could record a whopping 10 hours on a 5-hour tape. The picture quality was crap, and freeze-frames were monochrome. Ironically, the later EP (extra-long play) which ran at 1/3 speed gave better quality pictures and colour freeze-frames. I hadn't realised how crap VHS was until I came to copy some tapes (mostly at SP, some at LP or EP) onto MPEG using an analogue capture card: for some reason, all the capture devices I've tried have made the timing jitter (wiggly vertical lines) far more obvious than they are when displayed on an analogue TV. I wasn't rich enough to own a VHS that had a timebase corrector :-)

Reply to
NY

Could you describe what you mean by LP? Is it a disc or is it a VHS tape? What did you play them on; a special player feeding your TV?

Reply to
Dave W

I think he was more interested in film conversions which are not all soot and whitewash and bloopy like many you get on DVDs from Ebay or so I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Quite a lot have been donated to the Library of Congress in the states and the UK ones probably the British Film Institute, but don't know how you might find a decent transcription. Also what is considered sacrilege, ie obviously colourisation will be, but what about cleaning up the sound track or enhancing detail etc? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I've seen (in the 1960s) a tape recording of a Baird record.

Reply to
charles

I apologise to all who replied. I had, more than a senior moment, more like a senior day. What I'd like is recordings of the original sound tracks, of course they were on LPs. What would be the best media for modern TV's, as that is where I can get the best sound? Also how large are the recordings in terms of disc space? As I asked originally, what is the best source please. Thanks to anyone who bothered to answer this after my stupidity!

Reply to
Broadback

MP3 is the most ubiquitous sound format.

But TVs accessing sound files is still rather crap, so get a copy of audacity which can convert sound formats - and there are other ptrograms as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher