Telephone Line Fault?

Before I contact BT I thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar problem to me. I have have had problems getting onto the internet before and only repeated removing and replacing of the RJ45 connector from the modem could get it working.

At first I thought it was a dodgy contact but all looks good and jiggling it has no effect. I also replaced the modem line & connectors and tore the laptop apart* and resoldered the modem socket.

However, someone told me the other day my number was giving out a 1575 message, when they should have got through. Also the dial tone is now a high-low tone, that's if there is one at all, when it stops working I get just hiss and crackle and replacing the receiver umpteen times doesn't bring back the tone.

I've disconnected everything but a single phone from the network, and still the weird tone. Any ideas, if not it's time to call BT I think.

  • Only two screws left over, not bad for dismantling and reassembly of a laptop.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

You should disconnect the extension wiring, to eliminate that.

Assuming you have the 'split' master socket, like this:

NTE5 socket, second down on the left)....

Remove the lower part of the front by undoing the two screws and pulling it straight forward (it has to unplug from the rest of the socket). This will reveal the socket into which it fitted, which is actually a standard phone socket. The extension wiring is attached to the removable plate, so it's now all dosconnected. Try your phone in the newly exposed socket..if it still fails, it's definitely a BT problem. Otherwise it's yours.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Cheers Bob,

I have two extensions running off my master socket, but they're not hardwired into it, I have a 1-to-3 way splitter plugged into it ( only two ways used ). So, that means I already have disconnected the extension cables already, as you suggested. However, you have reminded me that I haven't removed the 1-to-3 way splitter so I'll remove that and plug a 'phone straight into the master socket,

regards,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I think you mean a 1571 message, not 1575 although I may stand corrected on that. 1571 is BTs Call Minder service (basically an answering service). The "high-low" dialtone you're hearing is known as "interrupted" dial tone and is the answering services way of telling you that you have a message waiting to be answered.

Some modems have problems connecting when they "see" or "hear" the interrupted dialtone. Clear your messages and you should be able to connect OK.

John.

Reply to
John

Before you contact BT, go have a look at external connections in any boxes outside that you can get at. Look for bad connections in the boxes.

Also when you contact BT, concentrate on the phone being duff, try to avoid words like "internet". It seems to draw a veil of stupidity over their minds.

Reply to
EricP

you need to plug 2 phones into the master socket, not 1. If both give the same probem its BT's fault, and they should fix it free. Plugging just one in doesnt tell you if the problem is your phone or BT's line.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Aaaah, signed up for that option recently when I was cold-called by BT, no idea how it worked, I'll see if I can clear the message and see how it goes,

cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Unticking the "wait for dialtone" box in the modem configuration dialogue will also solve that. If you can't see that, then entering an advanced configuration option of "ATX0" should also do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cheers Folks,

There still seems to be a problem even after clearing the backlog of 8 stored 1571 messages dating back to september! ....... including one telling me I had not got the job I recently was interviewed for :0( ( I'm gutted - it was a cushy number )

I still get an occasional problem either with a continuous tone ( not the dial tone, the higher pitched loss-of-connection tone ) or just an open line ( hiss, crackle ) that won't respond to anything, then for no reason I'll get a normal dial tone when I plug in for the umpteenth time.

BT it is then.......

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Yup, that sounds like a real line fault not just a identification of dial tone problem.

(one other cause of unexpected loss of connection is call waiting - you can turn this off by dialing #43# IIRC)

Reply to
John Rumm

I managed to get through to BT on their line fault reporting number 0800 800

151 and the automated woman talks you through a test whereby you are called back within 30 seconds after the receiver is replaced.

I have to tell you now that no such call was forthcoming......

The BT line fault progress number indicates that I may ave a real line fault so thanks for all the help, especially for helping me to understand how BT Call Minder 1571 worked!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

And definately avoid questions like "does it have an ethernet port" when trying to decide which broadband package to sign up to!

Reply to
Chris Hodges