Chimney Problem

Got home late last night and was greeted by my elderly nextdoor neighbour who told me that she'd had someone in to install a new gas fire, he'd put a smoke bomb in to test her chimney and told her that her chimney was leaking and that mine (it's a terrace of Victorian 2 bed cottages) was probably leaking too.

Danger of fumes in our houses etc etc and I could smell something in her house, and in mine when I got back and the smell disappeared when I turned the CH off.

I'll get someone (else) into check but what kind of person do I need? A gas fitter, corgi chap/ess, a builder? My fear is that someone will come in and condemn my CH which is elderly and only ventilated because I always leave a very small kitchen window open.

Is it true that all new systems have to be combis?

Are there any generally accepted good systems and any to avoid?

There's a lot of questions there but all help gratefully accepted

Sairey

Reply to
Sairey

You need a builder in to check who's lost a brick or two. ;-)

The gas fella only checks if the chimney/flue is blocked.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nop. I just had a new 90,000 btu condensing non-combi oiler fitted.

What is true is that, with a few exceptions, new boilers have to be condensing.

R.

Reply to
Richard Downing

Chimneys and flues can be checked by registered gas fitter. If s/he finds a serious problem then they will condemn the appliance and advise you on what to do.

Don't choose a large company that likes to condemn things to get new work. Choose someone who is recommended. The person who fitted the fire for your neighbour might be a good choice. If he condemns the boiler he's only trying to kill you by hypothermia instead of letting you do it yourself with carbon monoxide.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

LOL! Coffee in keyboard error.

Reply to