Odd telephone fault

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:55:48 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

OK try this one, now I've hopefully read it correctly... :-) Check if your extension wiring has been reconnected so the wires previously going to 2 & 5 on your extension sockets now has one of them going to 3. Check each of the wire pair connected goes to the same socket connections on the slaves as in the master - and is a good connection with the punch- down done on a fresh part of the wire. What colour are the phone wires in the Master and the Slaves?
I've know a DTMF generator that couldn't cope with long numbers. It's power supply was fine at the start whilst a capacitor was charged, but when that charge was "used" it didn't like it. Could this be happening with the ring capacitor if your wiring is now incorrect?
--
John W

I'm thinking the obverse to this - that I have had it wired wrong from 20 years and now it's right I have a problem. I'm colour-blind - the BT colours are really awkward.
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:35:25 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

That is certainly a possibilty. Can you reliably identify one pair from the two (or three) in the extension cable? If so rewire using that pair on terminals 2 & 5, making sure the same wire stays on the same numbered terminal through out. OK you might choose the orange/organge white pair but the electrons are even more colour blind that you. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:35:25 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

Ah a new fact... You need a signal-injection cable tracer (£20-£30 and up) or a cheaper alternative - a DC LAN cable tester (£2-£3 on Ebay, more elsewhere) You will also need two RJ11 to BT phone plug adaptor cables, or RJ45 to BT plugs. The sender half will put a voltage for a short time in turn on your wiring at the socket on the master faceplate with it removed from the test socket to isolate your wiring from the incoming phone line. On a remote sensor half of the tester, plugged into your slaves in turn, the LEDS should be seen to flash in the same order at both ends. If not, you have cross-connected wires
You can do this with a multimeter on its continuity setting, but to use this, you may need a temporary known good wire connection between the two locations.
Or. as others have said, migrate to DECT phones as we all seem to have done :-)
--
John W

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 22:06:37 +0100, John Weston

Which is, of course, no good for real (dial) phones...
--
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 23:53:41 +0100, Frank Erskine

The first cordless phone I ever had the opportunity to play with had a little rotary dial on the handset.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Simples.. you only need the Two wires OK.
Disconnect them from the master socket. Put a 1.5 volt battery across the Two lines and check for 1.5 volts with a simple meter at the other points. Check for continuity and isolation on that pair, this will show you continuity and polarity. Of you need the Third line then just pair that up with the other two joined together you soon be able to work out which one that is. Simples eh;?..
And you don't have to know what colours the wires are its that simple..
No need to go under the floorboards and if your wiring is as it should be and you still have the fault then I reckon you have a good case to ask BT back in..

Yes but thats a bodge around a fault that should be easily sorted..
--
Tony Sayer

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 16:55:48 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"

And the test with the single digits?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 05:04:21 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

Do you have dialtone at the extensions, is it a good level, is it clear, no hum or crackles etc?

Sort of half shows the number is live but as that call is froma different network doesn't mean the number is live from BT (though it should be).

Like Infinity install man disconnected them and didn't reconnect properly for some reason. Or put the wiring back correctly but your wiring is a bit "odd". Check for consistancy from master socket to all extensions. The same colour wire should be on the same numbered terminal at all sockets, joins etc.

From the extensions or just at the master socket?
Check the wiring with a fine toothed comb. Then as others haves said:
Check phone is producing correct DTMF tones (dialtone disappears for each button press when you can hear dialtone).
Use the same phone for all tests.
Start writing down the results of:
Check for clear dialtone at each extension. Do the phone/dialtone check at each extension. Try a number, works or not. Try the problem number, works or not.
Repeat with another known working and tested phone.
Look at results, try and find a pattern.
As the problem number works from the master socket BT aren't going to be interested, their network is working. It'll cost dearly you for them to come out and fix a fault on your side of the NTE.
--
Cheers
Dave.
"Geoff Pearson" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On 02/08/2013 11:06, Brian Gaff wrote:

VOIP doesn't send the DTMF tones anywhere while you dial a number. It collects them up and sends the decoded information to the "server" setting up the call.
If you then connect to a provider via a gateway that uses DTMF to operate menus, etc. the tones are sent in IP packets. VoIP is such variable quality that the actual tones received may not be good enough for the service to decode them correctly. The tones were designed assuming there was no compression and many VoIP clients use a lot of compression.
If you think tones are bad just try using a FAX on VoIP. They had to invent a whole standard to detect FAXs and handle them differently from voice calls. Many VoIP clients just don't bother.
On 02/08/13 13:25, dennis@home wrote:

I am not sure how much faxing still goes on...
Certainly from its heyday in the 80s and 90s, it must be an almost totally obsolescent technology.
I haven't used it since about 1995.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Still very useful at times - I can send repeat prescription requests to my GP by letter or fax, they don't accept phone or email for it. This week I realised that I was running low and would run out over the weekend, so faxed them from work on Wednesday and picked up the prescription on Friday (I usually finish early on a Friday).
SteveW

How quaint. I simply phone the surgery and a day or two later collect the stuff from my pre-nominated apothecary.
In fact, if the GP prescribes a "one-off", by the time I drive to the said dispensary the goods are awaiting me (perhaps a 5 minutes wait in busy periods).
--
Frank Erskine

On 03/08/2013 00:14, SteveW wrote:

Even our small and technologically incompetent surgery now has online ordering of repeat prescriptions. Still takes two working days for them to be done. And they have no mechanism for either telling you they are ready or sending them on to you.[1]
[1] Well they do have a process, you can take or post an SAE in with the repeat request. But that rather defeats the whole purpose of online requesting, doesn't it?
--
Rod

On 03/08/2013 08:39, polygonum wrote:

I order via a pharmacy to order, collect, and dispense the meds. It gives them the hassle of dealing with what are becoming PIA doctors surgeries.
You may want to avoid some of the larger chains like boots who can only submit and collect stuff on Tuesday (in my case) and use a smaller more accommodating one.
On 03/08/2013 13:02, dennis@home wrote:

I will not submit to a pharmacy controlling my medicine. For example, people can have great difficulty in getting specific products via particular pharmacies. Maybe the pharmacy (as in the case of Boots or Lloyds) likes to dispense its own packaged version (e.g. Almus or Lloyds). Or maybe they will refuse to leave product in its original packaging instead transferring the contents into their own child-proof containers - and omitting batch number and use by date.
If ever there is a shortage, I want to be able to get my supply from any pharmacy in the country, bricks and mortar or on-line, which is able to supply and not be stuffed from the outset. Same applies if I simply decide to go elsewhere for my convenience.
I also regularly see my mother's medicines not being supplied in time. E.g. a four-week supply arriving in the evening after the last dose has been used. They are utterly incompetent at delivering on their promises.
--
Rod

family.me.uk> scribeth thus

Yep the medical bizz is still rather olde world. I can e-mail the doc now but I still have to go get a bit of paper from then and cart that to the chemists shoppe. It seems beyond them to develop an electronic transfer system:(...
Still we know the NHS and IT shouldn't be in the same sentence;!!..
--
Tony Sayer

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 10:35:23 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

We can order repeat prescriptions on line and collect from the surgeries phramacy, as that is our default. If the default is the (note singular) phramacy in town you collect from there but I have a feeling that is person from phramacy taking the bit's of paper to that phramacy...

Unless you are an IT company and require a licence to print money. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:35:23 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

http://systems.hscic.gov.uk/eps

I am reluctant top use it for that reason!