Plusnet email down

Incoming mail appears to be working OK: POP clients such as Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird are picking up up new messages immediately. and incoming mail from other addresses (eg my Gmail address) are being delivered very promptly to the server from which I can download them by POP. Webmail is a bit slow but seems to be working.

However outgoing mail by SMTP is not working: various test messages never get sent - "server has disconnected".

That's the situation now at 10:00.

So there is still a problem, but less severe.

Reply to
NY

not had any failure to send, since it came back yesterday, sometimes it pauses for about 20 seconds, e.g. have just sent one from plusnet to my gmail account, as earlier someone reported issues (and indeed I got a receive timeout from pop/gmail)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gmail went down for me *exactly* as I loaded an upgrade to thunderbird. Took me nearly an hour to determine it wasn't even receiving mail on its web interface as well as refusing POP connections.

Then it started working again.

Sheesh!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Tim Streater

The person I was sending to now has her email working, but some of the incoming messages had times that were unlikely. In the early hours, long past her sister's bedtime, for example. She says she actually missed getting the junk mail :-)

Reply to
nightjar

I've been with PN for almost 20 years and so my email address is spread far and wide on the Internet. So I was saddened to learn unofficially from a contact in PN that PN plans to discontinue web based (Roundcube platform) email in the next few months. Web email has suffered deteriorated performance in the last few years and PN Advocacy Dept have said there is no prospect of improvement as no more resource will be allocated. Last week I learned that they will terminate it in 2022. Quite what they will do with the email client list has yet to be determined but it is not technically impossible to retain the email addresses and port the the traffic via BR Internet . For myself I will try and move as much as I can over to outlook.com

Reply to
Bazza

Not sure what you mean there, if they stop webmail, you can just use any IMAP/POP/SMTP client surely?

Reply to
Andy Burns

But not necessarily for checking your home email while on a work computer.

As it happens, I occasionally use Roundcube, but it is running on my home server - in fact my ISP's servers aren't involved at all, for sending or receiving.

Reply to
Steve Walker

why ever not? If I am travelling I use POP in 'dont delete from server' mode.

Once home I 'download and delete from server'

Same here, I run my own multidomain mail service

Even if you don't do that, to register a domain and use e.g. 123s redirection service means you can have a portable email address that doesn't cost that much. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, used it years ago as a backup, saw always odd that it used a SQL db to cache the emails ... needed clearing out

Reply to
Andy Burns

Use a command line E-Mail client like mutt running on your home machine and ssh to it. This is what I do.

All my E-Mail is delivered to my home desktop which stays on all the time (only 18 watts when idle). I have a secure way of connecting to it via ssh which keeps it free of heavy attacks on the ssh port.

So all I need to do from anywhere is connect a terminal to my home machine by ssh, fire up mutt and there's my E-Mail.

If you're desperate and behind a *really* paranoid workplace firewall there are ssh clients on the web.

Reply to
Chris Green

Situation still seems unstable. I can send but not receive. From time to time this situation inverts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As I run a home server as a NAS, that handles the email (IMAP), but also hosts Roundcube, Nextcloud and various home office/cloud apps.

Currently I could use other methods, but adding cloud/web based systems to my existing server made sense.

Reply to
Steve Walker