news.virginmedia.com

Anyone else been using this server today and experiencing problems (I would have asked in their own handy group, but they very helpfully shut them all down last month!).

Earlier this afternoon I was in mid reply here when messages started being crossed out and marked 'no longer on server' - fair enough up to a point but these were all replies to today's messages!

I'm using Outlook Express, and, rather foolishly, thought that if I hid my watched messages and reset the folder, things might improve, but that deleted all my watched messages too. So appols if I've 'snubbed' anyone by mistake. I seem to have lost several of the threads. Shame, as I had not been storing any on this laptop as it's running v low on space!

Anyhow, shortly after depriving me of my threads, today's messages that had been 'no longer on server' have appeared and been openable.

Anyone in the know about what is going on? Anyone have a reliable free news server they are using, that I can swap over to? As I'm also having trouble downloading email to Outlook since virgin handed us suckers over to Google, the whole thing is becoming rather a pain in the B!

Whilst I'm at it, can this group be read on line, to check on stuff that has gone from some servers: I find the UK-diy 'FAQ' pages, but not the news itself.

Cheers, S

Reply to
spamlet

115,347 messages when I looked...
Reply to
Rod

I had this briefly, with another group, yesterday. Nothing today. And a quick and superficial (ie probably useless!) look at Google groups suggested I'd got back what appeared to have been lost.

any use?

Reply to
Robin

--

You've been robbed: mine says '588,671' that is why I'm asking about the odd message and failure to post earlier today.

spamlet

Cheers Robin: I'd got my hyphens in the wrong place (uk-diy, rather than uk.d-i-y!)

Now linked nicely - but what a cumbersome way to follow compared with our newsreaders!

spamlet

Working fine for me but I am one of those whose email has not been migrated to the new system yet but i have had the email threatening the change.

I now use Albasani news as back up - useful when I'm hanging off someone elses WIFI and not connected direct to VM.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Free:

(Eur10/year)

Dave Liquorice

Yep - just posted on their online forum and this was the reply:

** Does this happen on all newsgroups or certain ones? Can you give me an idea of what newsgroups you are attempting to use and I will test it from here? Also, have you tried using another news client? **

In other words, anything except virgin's news feed ;-)

Rob (changed to astra for now)

Reply to
Rob

Yerrbut - I've now had your problem with new messages being marked as no longer on the server (just when I was about to discover the best grout float!). A complete reset brought them back a couple of hours later. But it does look as if Virginmedia/Highwinds have intermittent problems.

Reply to
Robin

Sadly its not just the news server: I have spent the last three days and nights fighting to get pop mail to download to Outlook. Since virgin stuffed us all handing ntl over to google - and taking away our perfectly good virgin service news groups - so we can't co,plain or get help! I have been spending an hour at a time with the pc locked up while Outlook tries to download 450 old messages at a time, and then spending another hour removing the duplicates with another program.: just to repeat the process with the next send/receive. Finally this evening it actually downloaded today's mail: and I have no idea why because they never answered my query on their online 'help' forum (well not if the email notification is working anyway!).

Grrrr!

spamlet

Sky handed us all over to google last year, no problems at all.

Reply to
dennis

Well lucky you!

spamlet

I use Outlook 2007 with blueyonder.co.uk mailboxes/aliases. The migration at the weekend caused me a little difficulty until I realised that I needed to edit my send/receive group for the aliases but it was not that bad. If you have several aliases on the same mailbox the way to avoid the multiple copies is to set only *one* of the aliases to

*receive* mail in your (in Outlook use Ctrl+Alt+S then edit the All Accounts group) but leave all of the aliases to *send* mail.

Feel free to PM me if I can help further (given this probably ain't DIY until you want to know whether an angle grinder is the best tool to use on a VM green box.)

Robin

Reply to
Robin

Thanks Robin. The Outlook user (not me: don't trust pst all in one files - I stick to my dbxs for now) only has the one 'alias'. I think the file that keeps a record of each downloaded mail must have been corrupted somehow or the pre google one didn't agree with the google one. Anyhow, finger's crossed, and I'm getting the mess gradually cleared up. Still a pain having to get the user to 'send items' to herself - when she's on the laptop - so we have a copy for our Outlook folders though.

Cheers, S

Reply to
spamlet