Appols from Spamlet: virginmedia not posting very well...

Appols to those I began corresponding with in threads; 'OT Polarised light'; 'advice on odd tap problem'; 'Silicon bead tools'. Virgin posted my first few comments and then failed on the follow up replies...

It appears from checking virgin media's virginmedia.support.usenet, that there may be a problem with their farmed-out 'Highwinds' server, which is not reliably posting messages to uk.d-i-y.

I've changed to their Liverpool based text.news... server, which I am told is more reliable, and hope that will cure the problem for future threads, but that leaves me with a backlog of sent messages that didn't get through, which I now don't know how to resend so that they end up in the right places in the various threads.

Have others here been having problems like this?

(Assuming I can now engage in a proper too and fro... fingers crossed!)

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

Is that text.news.virgin.com - or another one?

(Partner sometimes has problems with virgin news - I use Berlin/NIN.)

Reply to
Rod

Sorry - text.news.virginmedia.com !!

Reply to
Rod

I too have been having the same problem with VigrnMedia and have moved on to the text server route since when I don't think I've had a problem.

Reply to
Clot

Bad form, I know. Still, it seems to have taken close to two hours for the last post to get through.

Reply to
Clot

Cheers to you both: I'm back at last!

Yes I did change to the text.news.virginmedia.com server, but I made a few mistakes: Firstly, I just changed the server address in the existing subscription - in order to minimise the redoing of all my groups. This was a mistake because it duplicated all the messages as the two servers use different numbering (of course dumbo...). Even then, I found that my messages did not seem to be appearing, and then I got error messages saying headers downloaded were no longer on the server. Only just sussed that I needed to change my 'email address' as well before I was recognised as different account. Things are a lot more fiddly than they appear!

Hopefully things will now settle for a while before the next upheaval!

Regards,

Spamlet