The HD Behr's stucco paint was recommended, and HD being convenient and reasonable quality went for it.
Then, in trying to paint the stucco, I ran into a series of 'patterns' being left on the walls seemingly caused by painting a section and moving along the wall with a noticeable overlap - very visible because of the form of the pattern. HD paint dept had no idea what was happening. But close examination, pattern looked like a 'thicker', therefore smoother, area at each painting overlap.
The first patterns I generated were vertical, caused by starting at the roof and going straight down, move over, repeat. This left a series of vertical patterns VERY noticeable. Then changed to going from right to left as fast as possible, with the whole wall done in three passes, leaving two patterns of horizontal lines, with slightly noticeable vertical ones, as I moved along each section - these patterns are the least obtrusive, but still noticeable. This end result made me Feel like a rank amateur here.
This is a single floor building, I have now used completely three 5 gal tubs and am less than 1/3 done with the house. I estimate something like 60 to 80 sq ft per gal of coverage.
In an attempt to prevent patterns:
I followed HD's employee suggestion of making certain surfaces were dry [they were], tried multiple coats to no avail = patterns still come through, but now more of them.
I added the amount of Floetrol recommended [and then more] to remove 'brush strokes' but that had little effect except to add cost and 'fussing' time. Adding more Floetrol still didn't help.
I tried scrubbing the surface mechanically abrading any potentially drying 'powder' left from the previous paint [Dunn-Edwards versaflat base, probably thinned for spray painting beyond belief] that effort didn't help.
I tried wetting the surface, dampening it before painting. That didn't help.
So that's the update! Paint doesn't go very far and there are still patterns being left!
Next, I'm going to try 'wetting' at the overlap with Easy Off Window Cleaner and see if that helps. If not, simply pre-thinning with the product. Something HAS to work!
The next battle is interior painting using Dunn-Edwards Versaflat base, that has been leaving brush strokes like ribbed paint! I need to paint a wall a day and can't stand the cleanup [or multiple cost] of using a bunch of rollers either.
My impression is is that the paint just dries too fast, need a way to slow that down and increase the surface tension so the paint will have time, and the where-with-all, to flatten.