O T: Can Anyone On Talk Talk Help Please ?

Transferring files from one PC to another for a friend whilst he is on holiday.

Got all files transferred when suddenly realised that I had not transferred the connection details and too late to get them from old PC has I had reformatted it and put WinXP on it for someone else.

Can anyone on Talk Talk confirm that I have these details right please ?

Outgoing Mail:- smtp.talktalk.net

Incoming Mail:- mail.talktalk.net

Login is:- snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net

Password:- xxxxxxx

Feel a right burke.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Does this help:-

you can;t get the page, the details given are:-

When you set up your router, you will be prompted to enter certain details. Depending on the router you have, the method for entering these details will differ. In some cases the options are named differently, so if you have any have problems please refer to the documentation included with your router or contact the manufacturer of the router.

Note: Some early models of Netgear router (including the DG834 v1 and v2) are not compatible with TalkTalk and may display an error message, even when the correct details are entered.

Generic router settings

Username: Your telephone snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net, for example snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net* Password: Your TalkTalk broadband password* VPI: 0 VCI: 38 MTU: 1432 DNS settings: Set to obtain automatically (or equivalent) Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA) using VC-MUX Modulation Type: Auto

*We sent your TalkTalk broadband username and password to you in a letter when you joined TalkTalk. If you can't find this letter or can't remember your details, please call our automated service on 0870 0875 562 at any time FOR FREE from your TalkTalk home phone line.
Reply to
John Williamson

Um, is google broken on your computer?

Try this.

's-email-settings%3FTim

Reply to
Tim

D'oh! Mail setup....

quoted in essence:-

Enter your name as you would like it to appear in emails you send into the Your Name box and enter and your TalkTalk email address into the E-Mail Address box. Select POP3 from the Account Type drop-down list. Enter mail.talktalk.net into the Incoming mail server box. Enter smtp.talktalk.net into the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box. Enter your TalkTalk email address into the User Name box and enter your password into the Password box. Then click Next. Note: This is the same email address that you entered in step 6 above.

You seem to have it right.

Reply to
John Williamson

> Or, quoted in essence:-

Just had a thought, may it not work from my house because I am on plusnet and not talk talk ?

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Quite likely. It may use the connecting line ID as an authentication. It shouldn't, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Reply to
John Williamson

I can confirm that tiscali/talktalk only allow you to post from a tiscali/talktalk address when connected through their own server. Collecting mail is no problem. They say it helps to prevent spam etc. When I am away from home, my mobile devices send using Gmail or I use the talktalk webmail application on a browser.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence for clearing up this matter. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor