Talk Talk Internet not working.

We've got TT broadband and phone, the phone works fine but there has been no Internet access for weeks, TT don't reply to e-mails and we can't get through to their technical support on the phone. The lights on the ADSL modem indicate that the connection is working, and their website says there are no faults in our area. I've tried the fault procedures on the website, but the situation is still the same.
So what's up with TT, and how can I get it working again?

Can't understand you putting up with that sort of service. Have they taken your money? Anyway I would have been long gone by now if anyone like that with me.
I'm with Be suggest you move to them they not treat me like that, they look after customers. Regards David

I don't pay the bill, apparently for a low monthly charge TT provides free international calls that my housemates make a lot of use of, and Internet isn't charged seperately. They still want Internet service as well though.
The house is wired for cable TV from Virgin Media, which we don't use at present, it's also wired for all sorts of other things that previous occupants have had, so I've got to sort out the various co- axial and twisted pair cable around the place first, as the computer is upstairs.
In article

Fax the MD. Or even just write to them. Explaining you will be withholding payment for the time it hasn't worked after first reporting it.
--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

On 11/07/2011 13:29, alexander.keys1 wrote:

It sounds as if it might well be a local LAN issue. Can you talk to the router? What status does it give on its webpage?
You could try another router and see if you get a connection.

Sounds like settings menu. My powerline router came with a CD that allows PC access via ethernet cable and allows fiddling them. There are quite a few to set up and all must be correct.
rusty

Switch the router off for thirty seconds, switch it back on and let it reconnect. If that fails RESET the router, BT can send a stop connecting instruction in the event of a network fault. Access the Router 192.168.1.1 and make sure the password etc is still correct, or run the setup CD you should have from Talk Talk. Try connecting with another PC or Laptop. Try another router.
If all that fails you have no choice but to contact TT, you could ask for a MAC code at this point but that is your choice. Good Luck Martin C

Depends on which router you have. My speedtouch from Tiscali is 192.168.1.254 and you have to provide the username and passwordpassword. If you don't know them try admin and admin or admin and password.

On 11/07/2011 13:29, alexander.keys1 wrote:

If the router is indicating that it has ADSL sync (i.e. ADSL/DSL/WAN light flashes at startup, and then goes steady after a short delay), then there are a number of possibilities. Obvious one would be a stale connection. To fix this, turn the router off for half an hour and then power back on, wait a couple of mins and try again.
If that does not fix it, then verify each stage of the connection. First check the PC is acquiring an address from the router. On a windows machine open a command prompt and type:
IPCONFIG
and hit return.
Depending on your windows version you will get something like:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
If it says media disconnected or gives you an IP address starting 169.254.n.n then I would suspect you have a physical connection problem with your router or a malfunctioning / wrongly setup router.
If it looks similar to the above, open a web browser, and type the default gateway address into the address bar. This should take you to the login page for the routers configuration pages. Chances are the default username and password are both "admin".
If you get that far, look for a status page to indicate if you are actually connected to the internet, and check the up and downlink sync speeds.
If you are not connected, check the login credentials are still correctly set. (talktalk login names usually use a login name like: you_phone snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net). If those are correct, refer to talk talk.
If you are connected, check to see if its a total loss of routing you are suffering or just inability to resolve DNS calls. e.g. try:
ping www.google.com
from the command line. If you get a "could not find host" message try again with:
ping 209.85.146.104
You should see something like:
Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes2 time3ms TTLU Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes2 time2ms TTLU Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes2 time1ms TTLU Reply from 209.85.146.104: bytes2 time2ms TTLU
(or possibly a bunch of request timed out messages).
If the last step fails, its back to talktalk. If the DNS step only fails, you may be able to sidestep the problem by telling your router to use an alternate set of DNS servers. Google do a pair for public use on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Generally the best solution for talktalk problems is to wait on the premium rate line for long enough to get to a person, request a MAC code, and shift the service to a decent ISP.
TT may offer "free" broadband, but when something breaks its really not worth the price you are paying for it!
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I made the mistake of migrating 'phone and broadband to talktalk. The router shows sync and everything looks ok but it's like the dns servers don't respond, I keep meaning to ping a known IP but am normally in a rush to get back online. It has to be rebooted every 3-4 days. Just switching on and off is enough. IP address seems to stay the same. I never had this problem before and since have found another talktalk customer on a different exchange with exactly the same problem.
Caller display is erratic and often the number is truncated. I have raised the fault on a number of occasions and have e-mails back saying they have escalated it to a technical department, next I get an e-mail saying as they haven't heard they are closing the fault as solved.
If I thought I had a case for terminating the service I would revert to the previous provider (BT) but as it works and is quicker than BT was for the sake of pushing a button...
OTOH if I still wanted to SSH in to a computer at home I would certainly take some effort to drop them.
AJH

OK thanks for that, I've tried all the other stuff already but I'll do what you suggest.
On 12/07/2011 13:24, alexander.keys1 wrote:

So what did you find? The router is connecting at the DSL level but not logging in? or its logging in and not actually routing traffic?
--
Cheers,

John.

Can't get through ? What do you get? What number are you ringing for their technical support then?
alexander.keys1 wrote:

TalkTalk is pants. Big, flowery pants if you phone them up and talk to Bombay. However, get yourself to:
http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums /
Register (think you need your customer number) and post. The forums are maintainted by knowledgeable people in Slough or somewhere similar and they're great at fixing stuff. Unlike the Indians who will simply tell you to switch the modem off and on again until the last tick of recorded time.
--
Scott

Is there really somewhere similar to Slough?
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

Reading. Newbury. Basingstoke. Milton Keynes.
<shuder>
;-)
--
Scott

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:36:28 +0100

Maybe, but nobody has asked "Friendly bombs" to come and land on them.
--
Davey.

Many m
Mancunians think of the 1996 IRA bomb in those terms, although those who were injured (there were no fatalities) may not do so.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I had just parked my car, maybe a few hundred yards away, when that went off - heard it - got back in car - left. Obviously going to be impossible to do anything useful after that.
Somehow all the other contenders for being like Slough miss out - each of them has some areas which are much nicer. You have to go to Stoke Poges (north), Maidenhead (west) or wherever to get to anywhere much better.
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

Neasden?