Talk talk soddin talk calls

Are you getting incessant calls from some pests that start...

I'm callin' from Talk Talk.

I've asked them to stop calling me, and now I just put the phone down. They still call of course. Anyone know a way to stop them for good? Thank you.

Reply to
dave

Telling them you are on the TPS and you are now going to report them to the TPS works for me.

Steven Campbell

If you've never bought anything off them, the Telephone Preference Service as mentioned in the other reply is effective for UK based calls.

If you have bought anything off them or dealt with them in any way, so creating a business relationship, the only effective way is to contact them directly, or, when they call again, demand to speak to the droid's manager, who should have the authority to take you off their list. If not, a stiffly worded letter to the MD usually works.

I get round it by dishing out my fax number to marketing departments....

Reply to
John Williamson

Reply to
Huge

or if they really insist on a 'real number' I have a number of broadband dongles that will serve (and it's no good sending texts 'cos I can't read them on Linux)

Reply to
djc

Doesn't apply when they call from an overseas call centre.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Nice.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , dave writes

Send them a Section 11 Notice under The Data Protection Act 1988:

't waste time on the phone, send a letter to the chief exec or find a fax number for same or their legal department.

As you'll be typing it yourself that will make it on topic for uk.d-i-y

Wouldn't do any harm for you to 1471 the incoming call then look up the resulting number on whocallsme to check that it does resolve to Talk Talk before taking action. If the caller ID is withheld then it will not be them.

Reply to
fred

Just start a lurid conversation with them telling them how sexy they sound and ask what they are wearing. Your number will be flagged up as a 'perv' and they won't call it again. Of course that might not be a good thing if your other half is in the same room unless you can explain the joke.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Starling

Get them to tell you about the friends & family "calling circle" as they call it. Then tell them you have no friends to call and ask if they will be your friend. And so on...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If you have ever had dealings with them write to them and tell them you no longer wish to receive anything from them.

If they keep pestering you report them to the authorities.

Not a lot of point writing to the boss. In my experience letters marked for the personal attention of Charles Dunstone do not even get acknowledged (although a cheque enclosed with one did get cashed).

They have an appalling reputation and I am surprised they still exist.

Reply to
Invisible Man

, dave

Thanks folks.

Just after TT I had a call from BritGas saying they could offer me help in increasing the efficiency of my boiler! I was amazed. I asked them how they were going to do that as I don't have a boiler! "Er well, um..."

Reply to
dave

I like it!

Those of you my age might recall a Tina Turner song with a number something like

6545739

(of course I can't remember the number now, it's my age you know).

She did a gig in London in the early 70's, and of course lots of people afterwards decided to try it. It turned out to be the security desk at the CEGB headquarters, Sudbury House in Paternoster Square. Now long gone.

Reply to
newshound

Truecall.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , dave writes

As I've said elsewhere, if a 1471 produces "We do not have the caller's number", it means it's an overseas call. TPS has no effect on these.

These got so bad here - 5+ per day - that I started a small database to log them. Of course, we've only had one call since then. BT say there is nothing they can do without a change in the law. Ofcom answered a different question when I wrote to them. They have failed to reply to my second letter.

I see no reason why overseas calls of this type can't be stopped at the border.

Had the calls continued, I was thinking of trying to teach myself how to write a little utility that fired off an email to Ofcom, or whoever, every time I made a database entry. For the time being I've put that in the "too difficult" bin.

Reply to
Bill

Ditto. We block all international and 08xx calls. You can set a breakthrough code if you want.

Reply to
Reentrant

In message , Bill wrote

When my friends use their VOIP second lines the number presented to my caller ID display is either just the word international or unknown. The overseas bit can just mean that the call has been routed to server abroad but still originates in the UK.

Despite signing up with the TPS I still get up to 10 calls a day. I don't answer any of them. I let the answer machine pick them up. 99% hang up immediately on hearing the out going recorded message. Recently, the majority of these calls have had number withheld on my called ID display which indicates UK calls and the caller doesn't care a toss about the TPS.

Reply to
Alan

I just say "Oh, hang on a minute" and put the phone down on a table. I let them decide how long they want to waste on the call.

About 10 minutes later I hang up.

Reply to
OG

I use 18185, and understand that these calls can present as "International".

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, they can. I often have friends asking where I am because my incoming call to them shows as "International" on their caller display.

Reply to
Dave Simpson