Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls

Hello,

Verizon wants to charge me (by the minute) for local, landline calls. Does anyone else have that problem?

Reply to
Shylock

What call plan are you on?

Seems strange they can't give itemised billing...

Cwatters

You DO NOT NEED TO SUBSCRIBE to phone service to have 911. 911 is required for all landlines, regardless if they have a service or not (just like cell phones must be able to reach 911).

That said, in some states (and many more soon) they are creating a registry of cell phones, where you can put in an address that any untracable 911 calls will be directed to. So you putin your home address, and if you don't give them a different address, or the call is dropped, they go to the house.

As to Verizon not giving an itimized account, if their agreement with the customer says they don't have to, that is the end of the debate. I suspect that is what the deal really is--the customer agreed to that as a condition for the cheap line over the more expensive line charge. Now if Shylock is being forced to go to a pay-per-call plan (I don't think so) they he should seriously consider going cell only. That's what I'd do.

Reply to
PeterD

What state are you in? What area of the state? Each state has different rules for phone companies, and I'd recommend contacting the state's PUC (Public Utilities Commission) or whoever regulates the telephone company for your state. They can clarify whatever problem you are having I suspect.

Reply to
PeterD

My cell phone is not registered. I had to place a 911 call about 80 miles from where I live, and the dispatcher knew where I was. That was a big concern I had, but they knew where I was from the cell tower I was coming off of. (At&t service.)

Reply to
bilz2765

There are, for cell phones, two methods. First is that virtually all cell phones are equipped with a GPS device (so many people don't know that...) However, the GPS device doesn't work (well) indoors, and as well can often be turned off by the user. The second is the 'tower' trace technique. With tower tracing, they triangulate the signal usually and use that to try to determin the likely location of the phone.

GPS is better in rugged rural areas with few towers, and lots of reflections and other interference. Tower location is good in more urban areas where there is flat area, and lot of towers.

However, neither is 100%. GPS can be off by a ways (or otherwise be unavailable) and tower locating is an approximation at best. So the registry attempts to add one more layer of accuracy--very useful for some people with special needs or medical conditions.

What many people don't realize is that your cell phone continously advises the system where it is, even if you are not actively using the phone! You do not have to make a call to be found, just have the phone turned on with a battery that has power, and the system can find you.

Reply to
PeterD

Asked a while back about getting a phone on ebay for my Verizon account. I was told I could get any phone as long as it was E911 capable, E911 = has GPS in it. Every phone I have is E911 and has the option of the GPS being on all the time or only when calling 911.

menu settings and tools phone settings location location on E911 only

Verizon will not let you activate a new (or used) phone that is not E911.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy