13A induction hob

I'm ready to order a hob...

I thought I needed a 13A hob, but it turns out I can tweak my plans and get whatever I like.

If I stick to the original brief and get a 13A one, are they effective enough? Has anyone got one and has real life experience?

I can't imagine hammering all 4 rings on full at once.

TIA.

Reply to
R D S

Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they would not seel them if they did not work. Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that rating. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not a 13 amp one but it can exceed the load on its socket

Usually you can't if doing so would exceed 13amps. So mine will adjust the power to stay within the feed capacity. It might be worth downloading the installation manual and checking. Some can be configured in various ways...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

what do they say though ?. Do they go tsk tsk tsk when you start heating milk from a poor cow, or frying sausages ?.:-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

That doesn't always follow. They may well work FSV of "work".

An oven on a 13A plug these days is easy since they are fantastically well insulated and recirculate the hot air.

A hob is much more of a challenge since it is putting heat into a pan and the success or otherwise depends to on the base of the pan and the peak power that the hob can deliver. 13A only gives you a total of 3kW to play with which might be enough to simmer something on every ring but you are not going to be able to stir fry at the same time!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Plenty of retail products don't really work

not at all. Rings are very often 1.5kW or less. When total ring power adds up to > 240v 13A they're wired so that the lowest priority rings only get power when the others aren't using it all. It sort-of works.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

500w is enough for a medium simmer, that would be 2kW total, so no problem to stir fry something as well. I used to have a 500w cooking ring!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well I've had a double 'burner' induction for a few years. It has been OK to be fair, Decided to get a full power one though for 4 burners and connected it up to 6mm.

I'm glad I did, it works exceptionally well and as you say 3kw isn't much to spread across the 4. What did it was a review I read about a plug and play one that said it was about as much use as a camping stove. I spend enough time in the kitchen as it is!

Reply to
R D S