vibration after motor change

We recently had a motor replaced on our Lennox G61MVP series central air system. My wife called me while they were change the motor as I wasn't able to be there. They had the wrong puller for the job, so they used a block of wood to drive the motor off the squirrel cage.She offered to let them use one of my pullers, ( I have several from my auto repair and welding business ) but they declined and spent the next 45 minutes beating on it with a hammer. The first thing I noticed when I got home was the whirring noise and the vibration when you put your hand on the unit itself. I pulled the front panel and and checked the new motor for slop in the bearings, they were tight. there is however about

5 to 10 thousands end play on it and when I spun the squirrel cage, there is about 1/4 to 3/8 inch run out. Since I don't know and can't find allowable tolerances anywhere can someone please advise me. Are either of this tolerances to much ? The squirrel cage isn't dragging, but my experience with automotive is if you bend or warp the squirrel cage causing it to unbalance, it will cause premature bearing failure. Is this a concern on this unit also? Please advise, Thanks
Reply to
jjordan

I believe they bent up the squirrel cage but if you complain they are going to tell you it was already bad and they were just trying to save you some money. Then they will want to sell you a new one.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sure, they screwed up the fan. Distorted, out of balance. Yes, it can cause bearing damage. I'd get the owner/manager out there to inspect, then replace it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

If it wasn't vibrating before and it's vibrating after their half-assed job, I'd complain. And I'd ask the owner/manager why they don't have the right tools for the job. Doing this for a business, they should have the puller. Not only is it the right way, it would actually save them time and trouble.

Reply to
trader_4

I had a sort of rattling noise in my air circulating fan in the furnace, and I woudl have waited until it got worse but I was going away for 2 months, and I didn't really know what the noise was. The oil company's service department came out, changed the motor, and after they left, I noticed the same noise. I called and got them to give me back the motor and send me replacement squirrel cage.

Yes I should have had them put the new one on, and then they could have gotten their replacment motor back, but I didn't do that. Since I knew it was just the cage, I didn't bother to replace it before the trip, and a couple weeks after I got back, it stopped making the noise. That was years ago and it hasn't started again.

I switched oil companies, and when I was considering switching again, I did talk to the owner a few years later and he said I should have talked to him when the problem existed. I believe him. He would have had them come back and do it right.

You can do what the owner told me to do, call the owner.

Is it vibrating more than it used to?

Reply to
micky

And btw, you've got a great wife. A lot of them wouldn't know a wheel puller from a leg puller. And others would pay no attention to what a repairman was doing, as if there is no reason to pay attention.

Reply to
micky