Loft in Garage

I have a 16 x24 garage with a gambrel roof and want to put in a loft. I pla n on using 2x12 for the floor joists on 16 inch in centers. In order to inc rease the headroom can I put the joist on top of shorter 2x4s nail to the existing wall studs( they would go to the bottom sill) instead of putting t hem on top of the sill. If that makes sense.

Thanks

Reply to
c1gmlm

Sounds ok to me but only your local friendly building inspector can answer that. ;-)

Reply to
Al

c1,

Am I right in thinking that your floor joists will only be supported by nails? If so, I'd bet you'll need an engineer report. And, as the other poster advised, run this by the building inspector. I.d think that you'd get approval if you used metal joist hangers that tranferred support to the top of your sills. Once again check with the inspector

Dave M.

Thanks

Reply to
David L. Martel

If you want to avoid paying more property tax on an extra bedroom, I would avoid involving the building inspector. By all means make sure you have proper support for your work.

I got taxed for putting a pull down stairway to garage loft where I had added particle board just for storage. The inspector did not even look to see if there was a bedroom but when I found out about it and the tax I got his boss to come out and had tax removed.

Inspector had been there for new septic field inspection but happened to glance in my garage.

Reply to
Frank

I have a shed built exactly that way. The loft joists are below the sill. I added 2ft pieces of 2x4 to the wall studs below them. Mine is only for storage, and only a 12ft span, so I used 2x6 joists. But I can walk on it.

For a 16ft span, I'd use 2x8s. 2x12s seems excessive and costly, but that depends on what you intend to use the loft for. (Weight load, and so on). You'll also gain a little more headroom using a 2x8.

Reply to
Bud

Where in the OPs post did it say it was a bedroom?

And a bedroom in a garage is a retarded concept anyhow.

The best way to deal with inspectors is to keep them as far away from your property as possible......

Reply to
Bud

I wouldn't bother, as it won't be approved. As I understand it, he wants to nail 2x4s to the existing 2x4 that are in the walls and that are supported by the sills. As you point out, these new 2x4s will only be supported LATERALLY by nails that go into the existing 2x4s. They will have no support from the sill, foundation, etc. At best, if it's a concrete floor they will be sitting on the floor, but not the footers.

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Yes, don't get permits, don't get approval, don't get an inspection so that it's done right. All to screw your neighbors and avoid paying your fair share of taxes.

Reply to
trader_4

Nice. Floor joists sitting on 2x4s nailed to wall studs. Code? Safe? No!

Reply to
trader_4

I agree, no way short pieces of 2x4 will get approved. Even with an engineering report, it just looks too "Joe's Garage."

Joist hangers, maybe, or use 2x4s running all the way down to the floor plate. Not short ones. And I would think you need them very very level.

How low is that going to make your ceiling?

Reply to
TimR

Did any of you responders read where he said "In order to increase the headroom can I put the joist on top of shorter 2x4s nail to the existing wall studs

***( they would go to the bottom sill) *** instead of putting them on top of the sill." ??
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Why do you say that? He said the short 2x4?s would go down to the bottom sill.

I'm not saying it would pass an inspection, but if the 2x4?s are si tting on the bottom sill they would be supported by more than just "laterally by nails".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He said the 'short" 2x4's would be going all the way down to the sill. He is merely sistering sorter studs to the existing studs and then sitting the joists on top of the new, shorter studs.

I'm not saying it would pass code, but I'm also not sure how most people seem to be missing his mention of the shorter studs "going down to the sill".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I stand corrected. Must have hastily mistaken headroom for bedroom.

You are right, you want to keep the inspectors away. If loft is counted as a finished room it will be taxed.

Home owner will see a building inspector more often if he puts in something like a fire place than a whole housing development may see unless the inspector needs some boards or nails.

I had a retired inspector friend who I told was probably the only honest one in the county. Used to piss him off but it was true. He told me a story of some county official wanting a break for a friend and he said he would do it if the official put it in writing. Never happened.

Reply to
Frank

Good point. I thought he meant the original studs go to the sill and that he was nailing new ones in front of them. I guess what he means is he would nail new ones side by side with the existing ones and then sit the joists on top of them? Still seems questionable compared to having them sit on the top plate or using joist hangers, but he can go ask. Another factor is what's on the other side of the walls involved? If the other side is in a living space, his nailing may cause nail pops, inside, he should be prepared for that.

sitting on the bottom sill they

Yes, I agree.

Reply to
trader_4

"What exactly is anyone?s ?fair share? of what someone else has worked for and earned?" - Thomas Sowell

Reply to
Feckless John

I missed that too. Somehow I was picturing a two foot piece of 2x4 nailed to the side of a stud, with the joist sitting on that.

If the 2x4 goes all the way to the floor plate, and is sistered to the exis ting stud, I don't see why it would be any less strong than connecting to t he upper sill plate. the upper plate is already carrying a load, so rather than add to it, you're supporting the joists from the bottom.

Just goes to show, read for comprehension.

Reply to
TimR

d to the side of a stud, with the joist sitting on that.

isting stud, I don't see why it would be any less strong than connecting to the upper sill plate. the upper plate is already carrying a load, so rath er than add to it, you're supporting the joists from the bottom.

And if he's afraid of failing a future inspection, just drywall over the st uds.

Reply to
TimR

If I were sistering studs I'd use screws or lags, not nails.

Another option would be to lag a ledger board to the face of the existing s tuds and hang the new joists off of the ledger. That's how I built the stor age loft in my garage.

e sitting on the bottom sill they

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Note that a ledger board was mentioned. That is a very common and acceptable way of loading an existing wall. There is absolutely no need to transfer the load directly to the sill plate. The existing studs will do that for you. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary