Loft in Garage

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is with the OP's method, ie that the new joists sit on 2x4s sistered to the existing ones and sitting below the top plate, results in a big lowering of the joists. By my calculation, they would be 10.5" ( 2x12)

  • 3" (top plate) lower than if they were on top of the top plate. He's using 2x12 joists. That's two feet lower, which could be excessive, if that existing wall is typical house wall height in an attached garage, etc. He wanted more height, but at some point the garage has too little height. Might also run into some building code on min height.
Reply to
trader_4

I gotta question either your math or the explanation you provide.

What is two feet lower?

Forgetting for a moment the drywall or flooring for the loft area, either the Garage ceiling is lowered by 13.5" and, thus, the floor of the loft would be 13.5" lower. The only thing I see approaching 24" is this:

The distance between the TOP of the 2x12 placed atop the plate in the conventional manner and the bottom of the 2x12 snugged up to the bottom of the top plate resting on the sistered stud as proposed by the OP.

Questioning only that dimension, not your contention that the ceiling in the garage may become too low. That's a distinct possibility with the limited information available. Presumably the OP knows better and has taken it into consideration. If he can live with it, so can we. ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

+1

My error. I guess I didn't have enough coffee. :) I rounded 13.5 up to 14 and then incorrectly turned that into two feet.

Reply to
trader_4