Lining underside of flat garage roof

Any tips please on lining underside of garage roof ? Type of material to use ...... ply or plasterboard ? Cheapness ? Ease of handling above head - fixing to joists etc. Job mainly for finising off & not for insulation purposes and to reflect light when painted. Thanks for any help

Reply to
topo

If you have wooden cross beams then why not staple white fabric across it to produce an instant light reflector, and light covering.

Not something I would do as I find the spaces between the joist useful for storing bits of timber & pipe etc and as a flat roof is going to leak eventually I would rather know at the first sign rather than when the ceiling falls in

Having said that you could use 6mm mdf fixed in place with 1" no 8 screws

You need to cut the panels to size to span the joists and fix extra timbers between the joists so that all of the edges are supported

Make 2 T shape supports with the leg of the T the height from floor to joist to hold each sheet whilst fixing

I would paint the sheets before fixing

Tony

Reply to
TMC

9mm plasterboard would be fine for that. Should cost no more than a fiver a sheet.

To make it easy to board on your own, knock up a deadman prop to hold the boards in place while you do the screws:

John Rumm

I would agree with Tony. If all you want is a light coloured ceiling, paint what's there with white emulsion.

I also like the exposed beams for storage. Hammer in a few nails and you can hang all sorts of things up there.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks for all the input Guys

Reply to
topo

plasterboard if it wont get wet. perrre over the cracks and slap white emulsion on.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher