ISP speed adjusting praticality

I have just this week moved to fibre (well VDSL), from ADSL. On ADSL I was connecting at 18Mbs, speedtest at around fairly consistent 16Mbs.

I was moved in the early hours of Tuesday morning, since when speedtest results have been all over the place - sometimes 31Mbs, sometimes

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wow! 40GB/s is going some...

No, they are part of the crap backhaul you are connected to.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which makes me wonder which ISP. I was allowed to leave the Post Office during my ADSL contract because of that problem.

If the service is with Vodafone you can leave in the 1st 30 days.

Reply to
Michael Chare

The Natural Philosopher expressed precisely :

Sorry, the comma should be a dot..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If I remember correctly, Harry had trapped himself into staying with TalkTalk, so as not to lose his Tiscali email address.

Is that right Harry?

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. explained on 23/08/2018 :

No, I swapped to Plusnet many moons ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In that case try the Plusnet forum. Traceroutes can well you which of the Plusnet gateways you are connected to. Sometimes they get clogged.

Reply to
Michael Chare

No showing 37.60Mbs, so taking overheads into account, that is now full speed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

can take a while for the plusnet end bandwidth setting to adjust to the home end ... give it a day.

Does this result show an IP profile that's close to your line rate, it would normally be 96.8%

Reply to
Andy Burns

You probably need to run the BT line checker to see your IP profile, but that gets set based on what the plusnet speed checker sees as your line rate above

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does now - I was quite concerned that the figures I was seeing were WORSE than my ADSL prior to the service swap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The period of adaptation applies only to the last bit of the link - i.e. the xDSL connection performance. So generally if that is steady then chances are the problem is in the backhaul connection between your exchange and the ISP.

The exception to that might be if you are getting a high intermittent error rate on the local connection. In which case that may improve with time as the DSLAM learns to rate adapt down a bit for a slightly slower but more stable connection. If you router can show you the error rate on the line that can be instructive - you may be able to see periods with a large increase in errors detected. Sometimes forcing the router to retrain at that point can get better results.

Reply to
John Rumm