Why I don't post a valid email address

Yup, that's why Dave Null answers all my email at this address.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Some time back somebody got all over me on this list over not posting a valid return address. What I have posted below is proof that the email addresses on this list are 1) harvested and 2) spammed.

May 17 23:48:34 genesis postfix/smtpd[7940]: 291D828003B: reject: RCPT from 24-205-248-109.gb-cres.charterpipeline.net[24.205.248.109]: 454 : Helo command rejected: You are not in organic-earth.com; from= to= proto=ESMTP helo=

The above entry from my logfile (I run my own mailserver on Linux) is for an email that attempted to pretend that it had originated within the confines of my home network. It was sent to an address I used to use when posting here -- and only here.

Hopefully that turkey will pick up his own address from this posting and spam himself.

rec.gardens.edible is like a friendly village ... that is regularly plundered by the villains surrounding it. Be governed accordingly. Be aware that it only takes a short PERL script to 'unmunge' addresses that are cleverly disguised with the phrases 'nospam', 'spambait', 'munged' and so on. You'll have to be more inventive than that.

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:59:12 -0400 in , Anonymous graced the world with this thought:

There's no need for proof, anyone who doesn't think they are is living in dreamland. Even the test newsgroups are scanned. Hell, the majority of people on usenet use a munged or invalid address, anyone raving about someone not doing it needs a mental check. I've always figured that the people that get upset are the ones who sent you some abusive crap, and it bounced... why not just answer in the newsgroup? If I don't ask for email, someone sending me something unsolicited is just as annoying as someone that wants to sell me penis enlargement pills.

I stopped using a valid address after I started getting abusive email from people who were sweetness and light in the newsgroup they came from. One person threatened to kill me because I disagreed with her over a food allergy. That one got sent to the FBI and her ISP. Oh, and when I took highly abusive email with language that would make a longshoreman uncomfortable, and posted them in the newsgroup, the dumb asses would invariably threaten to sue me because somehow they figured this was "their property," and couldn't be posted without their permission. Yeah, go pay a lawyer $5000 and do it, asshole. We'll see what happens. Sorry, it's on my computer, it's now property.

The conclusion: There's a very high incidence of morons on usenet.

Reply to
belly

It's not just rec.gardens.edible, it's any group on Google, Ebay, or any other web site that posts your address of anyone to see. That's why I use MSN's free hotmail addresses - they can filter out the spam and dump all messages after a few days. Keeps my home computer spam free. If anyone wants to send me a e-mail message they can post a message telling me to check my e-mail.

Bob

Reply to
Bob S.

A lotta crap gets dumped on you from e-bay every time you go there, I don't anymore, & most websites drop cookies on you almost wherever you visit. The trick that worked for me was that I changed providers so that all the old places that I was already registered into still have my old address & still work. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter