second email address recommendations

Need one for my Mum. She has never had an email account and sends personal emails via my Dads BT account.

There is now a small snag that repeat prescriptions cannot be ordered for her as my Dad already had his email address registered to the doctors.

The emails are for nothing more than prescriptions.

I was going to set up a Yahoo email but if there is a simpler option then I am open to suggestions.

Reply to
ARW

You can create her a separate BT email account ...

Andy Burns

And it says "Before you create a new email address it's important to understand".

This is my parents we are talking about. I really once had my Dad phone me to ask where the ANY key was on the keyboard as the instructions were press ANY key to continue.

Reply to
ARW

ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> posted

Whatever you do don't use Gmail. It is now creating severe problems for their users by deliberately delaying incoming e-mail from other providers, sometimes by several days.

Hotmail is doing it a bit too, though not as badly.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

I assume you have access to you Dad's BT account, so can do it for him?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have, but he does not know that I have.

Reply to
ARW

That's what we do.

Reply to
Richard

If you can set up POP mail I'll create one for you. I have a server and half a dozen domains so unlimited user ids...or I can simply forward to her hubbies account.

So two identities end up in the same mailbox.

Or you could for a few notes a year register a domain and do the same thing yourself.

Its not as cheap as it was but its about £15 a year for a domain IIRC with free mail forwading

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is worse than that.

I have a 'response' page on one of my sites., I spent two days writing code that checks that people who try and send email using it (to me) actually have a proper email address. This involves sending an empty email to their email address or rather gettig as far as sending the RCPT TO: part of the protocol.

Mail servers that do not have such a users SHOULD say 'not known' at which point I delay a second or five, abort, tell the users to not to f*ck with my website and that?s that.

If they enter gmail addresses tho they are always accepted instantly, only to be rejected later as BOUNCES.

Lord knows why. It breaks SMTP protocol.

I hate gmail. I have to have an account for my android phone but i never use it otherwise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No problem then. Very simple to do, just follow the instructions in Andy's link.

Reply to
Richard

If this is to be used on the same PC as your Dad, logged in as the same user, and with the same application, then I see advantages in making it a BT sub-account. That way if there are external problems it will be apparent as neither of them will be able to send or receive; and you won't face having to sort out twice as many problems.

Plus you can offer to set it all up for her as a Christmas present!

Reply to
Robin

You could get your own domain. Something like adamsparks.co.uk. Then a POP box. snipped-for-privacy@adamsparks.co.uk

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

gmail.

The web interface works well, spam filtering good and Android phones "just work".

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd be careful with that. Hotmail treats such behaviour is malicious and can blacklist your IP (so you can't mail anyone at hotmail).

It's to stop people mining the database looking for valid usernames to send spam to. Which is indistinguishable to what you're doing.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

They have a another odd behaviour as well. Say for example you have snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, they will also accept email and deliver to the same account if you send it to a variation with dots in the address.

So fred.blogs@ or f.r.e.d.b.l.o.g.s@ are all acceptable.

Can be useful at times for creating unique identifiable addresses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does anyone know whether Bigfoot email forwarding has gone for good? There are frequent down times, but now even their website is down:

Max Demian

I'm not the slightest bit convinced that there's a reason why I, the owner of the mail account, would care two figs about that

My account exists. Why the f*ck would I care that you (or anybody) doesn't like the way that the mail provider I use treats mail to accounts that don't exist

tim

Reply to
tim...

On 22/12/2018 15:44, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote: ... snipped

Where's the evidence to back-up for these assertions?

Reply to
nothanks

There's actually nothing non-standard about that behaviour, anyway. Only the final SMTP server in a chain can verify addresses. All others will just relay regardless. Hence the bounce rather than the rejection.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I spose if TNP pulls the MX record for the domain prior to working out which mail server to query... Still unlikely to be foolproof even then - especially if someone is using split domain routing for an address.

Reply to
John Rumm