second email address recommendations

IME Outlook spam checking is useless. It lets 99% of spam through.

Reply to
Mark

Originally meant for non-profit organisations.

Perhaps .me.uk, or now .uk (replacing the top two levels)

Reply to
Bob Eager

.com was originally intended for commercial organizations but became unrestricted long ago.

Reply to
Robin

Protonmail.com

Avoids the spam and lost e-mails of hotmail (only e-mail provider we get issues with as customer attempt to cut down on their spam by having "whitelist contacts only"

Also Protonmail avoids the spying eyes and adverts of Googlemail.

The free account only gives 500MB storage but that's ample. It can be run from a mobile phone app and browser session.

It's really rather good. I never use Gmail anymore.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Honestly can't see that being an issue as this addy will only[1]be used for prescriptions so need never even be checked.

Absenting 'mission creep' Ob.

Reply to
soup

Which is annoying, but uncritical.

Junking mail which *isn't* spam isn't just annoying, but could lead to consequences if an important email is missed.

So you end up doing a daily sweep of your junk mail folder, which somewhat negates the point of having a spam filter.

And there's no way to modify this behaviour. The "Junk email" option doesn't have an "disable" or "turn off" option, and adding a rule "move all mail with an "@" in the address to my inbox is resolutely ignored - despite a report to MS that it's shit.

I've also had a couple of service providers refuse to allow me to create an account with a @hotmail.com email address - for very good reasons.

All things change.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

IME there are no delays. From a quick scan of the discussions at that link it seems that many/most respondents say they do not see delays. Why would google "deliberately delay" email?

To ARW: gmail works fine and is very easy to set-up and use.

Reply to
nothanks

It's a waste of time at the very least.

Peronsally I never see legit emails in the junk mail folder in outlook.

Huh? All email would have a '@' in the address, surely?

What reasons?

Reply to
Mark

Happens to me all the time. I don't use Outlook, I use Evolution to just mirror what Hotmail is doing. So it simply copies emails in Hotmails junk folder to my local one

he idea was to try and get all mails - including MS spam marked ones - back into my Inbox

They've had problems with *their* emails being rejected by Hotmail. Certainly the Pepipo forum (or whatever) about parking tickets won't allow a hotmail address to register. Says so on the front page (with the reason I gave).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I find gmails spam filter pretty good, I check occasionally for false positives but haven't found any.

Reply to
bert

And the advantage is that should you wish to change ISP your email is unaffected. I use it also to automatically collect any messages from my mandatory Plusnet account.

Reply to
bert

Beware, you have to use it at least once every 90 days and it will be deleted after 150 days if you don't.

Reply to
Andrew

Yeah, me too, and not hard to see why it is so good. If no one else gets a particular email, no point in marking it as spam.

Reply to
87213

Eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I meant that if gmail can see that only one email address got a particular email sent to it, its safest to not mark that as spam. Doing it like that will minimise the risk of false positives, particularly when they also have a blacklist of spammers.

Reply to
87213

More flexible certainly, but I doubt there are easier, since this requires absolutely not setup at all in advance or after,

Reply to
John Rumm

The email account linked with my android/google account is not gmail. OTOH, I've had my google account since before gmail existed. I don't know if you can still setup a google/android account with a non-google/gmail email address, but you certainly used to be able to and mine still works.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bollocks. It's a 22-page discussion among a very large number of people do see delays (or rather, people whose gmail-using correspondents see them).

One can speculate about that, but the *fact* is that that is what they are doing.

He should read the page I pointed to.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

Email sent from plusnet to gmail, arrived in under 2 seconds.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I still have access to my BT mailbox more than two years after I switched from them. I don't use it much though because they might terminate it at any time. Also, of course, I can't use their smtp server.