UPS rant

I don't get stuff via UPS very often, but last time I registered with their "my choice" app, which involves them physically posting you a code to verify your address, I set a username, an email address and password.

Now (about a year later) I've got another delivery coming via UPS, the delivery confirmation email says it's due sometime today between 9:30 and 1:30

But their tracker seems to disagree, and offers more details if I logon to "my choice", so I try to logon and it fails, there's an option for it to email me a reminder by giving my email address, the reminder duly arrives, but isn't very helpful as my password manager had the details saved, but at least it confirms they have the same details as I do.

So I click the "forgot password" link it asks for both my username and email addr, and then tells me there was an error, and gives me the code LASSO_1010 and says their support staff will know what do do with that code.

The first person, didn't know what to do with the code.

The second person instantly knew that it meant I haven't logged on for more than

7 months, so I expected them to reset my account in some way, and I could continue.

But no, he said I'd have to create a new account, and confirmed that would involve them sending another code in the post, he was certain there was no way he could reset the existing account ... barmy!

At which point I thanked him but said I wouldn't bother as they clearly don't care about their users ... maybe in America everyone is expected to receive multiple UPS deliveries per year so never end-up locked out?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Presumably you are aware that UPS delivery estimates are a complete fiction.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think I am now, it's still in Holland.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In fact this very minute, I've had another email

"Your delivery is being rescheduled. We'll provide an updated delivery date when we receive your [JKL] parcel."

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds like left hand and right hand again. I've noticed this with web sites that I do not need to go to very often. Even Google seem to be confused if you log in from other devices and then relog in from the original oone and want to send your mobile a code, which they cannot if your mobile has changed of course.This means starting over. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I received this e-mail a couple of weeks ago. Did you get a similar one? Did it go to spam?

<quote>

Subject: UPS Registration Notice of Expiry Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 02:17:42 -0400 (EDT)

we've missed you! Our records indicate that you have not taken advantage of ups.com recently. To keep your registration active and ensure you have access to all services associated with your ups.com ID, simply log in to UPS before Saturday, November 19, 2022. If you no longer have a need for your ups.com ID, do nothing and your registration will expire on Saturday, November 19, 2022. </quote>

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

Well, I have no similar message remaining anywhere, but ...

It looks exactly like the sort of message that *would* go to spam, especially if it came from a "suspicious looking" domain (upsemail.com is an example domain they sporadically send from, though most do come from the easily recognisable ups.com domain)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yesterday my neighbour asked if I could cover for a couple of hours for a large domestic item delivery that was scheduled for Wednesday 12 to

5pm. He wouldn't be at home until around 1:30pm. It turned up today (Tuesday) at 9:45am :) This was AO.com. The delivery driver said that his phone call to the neighbour had gone straight to voice mail.
Reply to
alan_m

I also had a UPS delivery last week, and simply couldn't work out why it insisted on my having an account and logging in for the 'more details'. What's the big secret?

It originally said delivery sometime Wednesday, but actually arrived late Tuesday.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I think it's so they can *charge* *you* for altering the delivery slot, which I presume is equivalent to just rolling the dice again?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The secret lies in the infoirmation you'd need to provide for them, before they'd let you open an account.

How are they going to spam you in future if they don't even know your live email address. for one.

People who get deliveries from UPS are possibly quite a desirable category, from a spammers point of view. Etc etc

bb

Reply to
billy bookcase