UPS rant and Rockler praise

A couple weeks ago, I ordered some stuff from Rockler. They shipped the order the next day, and e-mailed me the UPS tracking number. The UPS-scheduled delivery date was Monday, January 24.

The package didn't show up on the 24th, but we'd had a pretty major snowstorm over the weekend and I figured that had held up delivery, which was forgivable, and meanwhile the UPS site showed a rescheduled delivery on the 25th. No big deal.

Well, it didn't show up on the 25th, or on the 26th either. On the

27th I e-mailed UPS asking for an explanation, and they replied with a promise to provide an answer by the next business day. That answer never came.

On Monday the 31st I called UPS and after struggling through the automated system I finally got to talk to a human being who was perhaps the most un-helpful customer service representative I've ever dealt with. She first tried to tell me that the package had been delivered a week ago. When I pointed out that the UPS tracking page showed that the package had been sitting at the local depot for over a week, she told me she wasn't familiar with the tracking system and had no explanation. (How the hell can they put somebody into customer service who hasn't a clue how the system works and doesn't know how to read the tracking page that the customer is probably looking at when he calls?!)

Eventually I was transferred to another individual who was equally clueless and equally uninterested in helping me. She said the best she could do was to "initiate an investigation." This investigation, she told me, would take up to eight business days and they would not tell me the results. Instead, they would report to the shipper, and I would be expected to call the shipper on a daily basis to ask them whether they had heard anything from UPS.

At this point I sarcastically thanked the woman for her complete lack of useful information and hung up. I then called Rockler to see if they could be of any help. The woman I spoke to said she'd look into it and see what she could find out.

An hour later, the lady from Rockler called back. She apparently had gotten the same non-information from UPS and basically concluded that the package was lost in their system. But rather than making me wait eight more days for it to turn up, she said they would re-ship the order and straighten it out with UPS later.

The order was re-shipped that day and arrived today. Rockler sent it second-day air even though I had only paid for ground shipment.

What a contrast. Thanks, Rockler.

John Carlson

I had a good time with FedEx recently. A package was shown "delivered" on their Web site. It wasn't. I called, they said they'd ask the driver and call me back. No call back.

Called again, they said the driver delivered it to my aparment management's office. Uh-uh; I went over there twice on the date it was allegedly delivered. We're investigating and we'll call you back. No call back.

I talked to customer service; customer service escalation; tracking dept.; claims dept.; even the VP of public relations. We'll call you back. No one ever did.

Four days later, my postman knocks on the door to tell me there's a FedEx package with my name on it sitting in the office of an apartment complex up the street, not the one in which I live. So I call FedEx and they send a driver over there.

He can't find any package addressed to me. I start over again with the "channels." People are beginnign to recognize my name. :-)

I get the hard-ass, flush-this-pest guy, who tells me to have the shipper send "another one." I'm ready for him.

"The shipper can't send another one. The box contains the ashes of my only child."

Tony, age 14, thought that was hilarious. :-)

Three hours later, I received my printer suppliers.

Reply to
David Hakala

David Hakala wrote: [snip]>

It's all in how you explain it...

Reply to
jo4hn

Must of been the same one who told me, with a straight face, that someone named F. Rontdoor signed for it ... and at a non-existent address on that particular block.

Reply to
Swingman

... snip of charming FedEx story

That was funny.

OTOH, I've had very good luck with FedEx -- the last order I had shipped through them actually had the package arrive a day earlier than they had predicted.

UPS has been hitting the delivery dates predicted pretty much dead on.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

You, sir, are truly evil.

I admire that in a person. :-)

==RC "Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells 'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets fly with a club. -- John W. Cambell Jr.

Reply to
rcook5

Absolutely marvelous! That one gains a place in the Hall of All Time Greats.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

[snipperectomy]

I must say that I have nothing but good experiences with UPS. 'Cept one. I buy a fair bit of stuff from the US and use UPS to get it to me. I use their broker. UPS brokerage is expensive... but fast. ....*just looking here.....* ...............the last 3 shipments from the US were all one day earlier than promised....one was 2 days earlier. Regular (not-in-a-hurry-replacement/repair-part-category) stuff goes to my Mailboxes Etc. box in Port Huron. Again, with no delays from UPS.

Just ONCE was there a comical abberration. Friends of ours, from St.Louis MO (he was the minister who married us) had been here to Kanuckistan for a 3-day visit. As part of their road-food collection, they had a bag of big-fat-twisted-huge Cheezies. Our daughter (11) isn't used to that 'straighttohellinnabasketgarbage' enjoyed that crap immensely. So much so, that our friends decided to send her a big bag via UPS. "Ah, what-the-heck, Rob, it's not that she eats that junk every day..."

Two weeks go by. Then, a notification from UPS that the expected shipment was being held by customs waiting for direction on brokerage. Value of shipment: $ 5.00 (There were some Pixie Sticks and Tootsie rolls in there as well..."what are friends for") Anticipated brokerage fees: TWENTY-SIX BUCKS!. I reject shipment. (At that time, I still don't know what's in it, but I know who it is from, and I'm suspicious of those pranksters.)

Two weeks go by. Somehow, fees were waived and the MegaCheesies showed up. All the contents had been opened and taped shut again with 'special' tape. Labels of 'this dept' and 'that dept' all over the box. The thing looked like a crime scene.

I strongly suspect that one of the MEGACheezies was missing. Took a month. (The expiry date on the MONSTERMEGACheezies was 2066 so there was no hurry...not that there is any food in it....)

Holy cow...look at the time..Tea is all done...

OUT

Reply to
Robatoy

Agreed, Weegie did you grab this one? Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I feel your pain Have had similar problems with UPS and FEDEX Ground. If you do not get your package from UPS at date in shipper just forget about it you'll never see it. Had similar experience twice online they said it was delivered, (not to me since I nevr saw the package) and their customer service might as well not waste your time. All they will tell you is we still have the tracer and we are working on it. Never saw the packages. I'm convinced UPS costumer service is there to give you a false sense that they are working to find the missing package when in the background nothing is being done. Friends of mine have had exactly same problem. FEDEX ground I will never use them again NEVER !!!!. Every package approx 4-5 in the past year have either not shown up or left on doorstep completely open and contents missing or broken. Call Fedex gnd customer service (hidden on their website or difficult to find) they just apologize take information and tell you a superviser/manager will call you, you guessed it they never call you. The US Post Office sadly enough gives somewhat better service than UPS and fedex Ground. Fedex air are still on the ball so far never had a problem.

Reply to
dteckie

My most recent FedEx experience was less than satisfactory. I ordered one of the Bessey kits plus some router bits from LV. Shipped on time, 2 cartons. Clamps arrived (all beat up) on time, abeit at 8:35 pm. Router bits were shipped through Raleigh and arrived 5 days later, delivered this time at 9:00 pm.

One of the bessey's had a broken plastic foot piece (the new black plastic piece) and LV had a new one to me in a couple of days. Thanks again Robin and crew.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I had bought a Leigh Dovetail jig from a private party, and he shipped it USPS about two weeks before Christmas, in four boxes, all insured, at the same time. Well one came before Christmas, and the other three showed up the next week up to a week later than the first, all on separate days. I was sweating it out that they would loose maybe one or two of the packages and my other two would be of little value.

Reply to
ToolMiser