UPS packed up ?

Had to move my server for a couple of hours earlier. No problem, powered down, switched off UPS with button on front, unplugged everything, replugged back in, and ...

Nothing whatsoever from the UPS.

Batteries are 3 years old, but there's bo sign they've burst.

Is there a cunning reset somewhere before I start digging ?

Last time I checked, using NUT (it's a *nix server) it said state was OK.

It's an Eaton NV400

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dead battery :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Really? So it is passing power to the output sockets when the power is on? A dead battery generally wont stop that, and "Nothing whatsoever from the UPS" rather implied it wasn't.

Reply to
Graham.

A previous generation of MGE ones did that. Once the battery was on its last legs, any power interruption caused the UPS to go off and stay off, never bothered replacing the batteries once we found that out, just bought 25 new UPSes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Battery was around 8V :(

A rummage around my cupboards and I found an old power scooter battery. Sadly not the right size, but fully charged. Swapping that into the UPS bought it to life.

Clearly there are some "clever" electronics which prevent the UPS from working if the battery is flat. Just waiting for an occasion described by another poster where you have a power cut, and **** all comes back on.

Oh well, less than 20 quid for a new one, so not the end of the world.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is that 20 quid for a new UPS? Is it not worth replacing the battery then?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I know with the ones I use, the Eaton 3105 an possibly the 3S too, the battery be totally dead and it will still pass through the mains.

Reply to
Graham.

£20 for net *battery* ;)
Reply to