NHS email addresses?

on 20/01/2021, williamwright supposed :

My does and I make good use of it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Peter Johnson expressed precisely :

Judging from my patient record and when letters appear in my record, my surgery communicate with my hospital via snail mail and vv.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Email from patient to the NHS is easy for them: (a) the patient choses to use email, and accepts the risks and (b)the NHS has processes to control access at their end. I too have emailed hospitals routinely without difficulty.

Email from the NHS to patient is much more difficult because (a) they have to get and document agreement, after judging if the patient has capacity to understand the risks, and (b) they have no idea who else has access to the email.

Email is being used - and now the NHS has secure email I expect they will start using email much more. If you have a .gov.uk or similar email address they may even send secure email you. Failing that they can, like banks, send an email with a link for you to read securely in a browser.

Reply to
Robin

My GP practice will not accept emails from patients because 'they are too busy to read them'.

Reply to
Andrew

"Perfect is the enemy of the good"

The NHS seems to prioritise not being blamed for mistakes over patient welfare. If a patient doesn't tell a GP about a problem, the GP is not to blame for not acting on it.

On the other hand, people who prioritise a good outcome generally ask for as much data as possible, if they can't process it effectively nothing is lost, but even simple automated processing can reveal interesting information which improves outcomes. It doesn't matter that the process is not perfect, that the process misses things, there is still a net benefit from the information gained.

In terms of IT and automation the NHS is still in the dark ages.

Reply to
Pancho

Print them out and hand them in to reception :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I find it hard to blame them when the NHS faces clinical negligence claims of £83 billion.

Reply to
Robin

lol! I was speaking against a blame culture, not meaning to continue it.

Yes, when the majority of participants in a system act in a particular way it is probably a problem with the system rather than the individuals.

The fact remains that we should try to change the system.

Reply to
Pancho

Was the email address one you'd reasonably expect to be able to reply to?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Does it really matter if someone else finds out about your appointment time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Must mean they are too busy to read a letter too, then. Which takes more time than an email. And may be difficult to read if hand written.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

and the results of your test for STDs?

Reply to
Robin

Medical practices would be a natural target for spam from johnny foreigner hoping to sell cut-price pharmacuticals, and emails from hypochondriacs and time wasters generally.

michael adams

michael adams

A smug grin that says 'see, I'm *not* that old?

Reply to
Bev

Ah the yellow line ;(

Reply to
Mark

Does your GP do those? You must live in Soho.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

And I'm sure they get lots of those by snail mail too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not quite true. As far as NHS hospitals are concerned, the patient admin, clinic booking systems, digitized Xrays, path Lab results etc you will find systems as good as anywhere in the world. The weak link can be dealing with patients. Some Trusts do a better job than others.

Reply to
Andrew

The problem is too many patients go for '2nd' opinions and include vast email attachments in support of their '2nd' opinion.

If they stuck to a single screen of text-based email it wouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Andrew

Including the attachments in support of their '2nd' opinion which could be hundreds of pages ?. This is why my GP practice won't accept emails from patients.

Reply to
Andrew